Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:05 PM
John D.

Default St. Thomas, St. Marten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbad

We will be on a Southern Caribbean cruise this August. Can you give us any suggestions for excursions in St. Thomas, St. Marten, Antigua, St. Lucia, & Barbados?
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Thomas, St. Marten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Ba

John,

I have been to only trhee of those ports, but here goes.

>> St. Thomas -- I highly recommend the "Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John." A fairly good-sized catamran picks you up right at the cruise ship pier and sets sail for a secluded beach on St. John with a nearby reef for snorkeling. Upon arrival, the crew anchors the catamaran, lowers a bow stairway into the water for swimming and snorkeling access, breaks out snorkel gear for those who wish to use it, and provides optional snorkeling lessons for those who wish them. While at the beach, the crew serves a cold buffet lunch aboard the catamaran. After lunch, the crew sails the catamaran back to the pier -- arriving around 3:15. Of course, the crew also serves complementary beverages -- your choice of champagne, rum punch, beer, soda, and juices -- the whole time. I have taken this excursion three times, and am ready to do it again.

>> Antigua -- The tour of English Harbor and Nelson's Dockyard is very interesting and worthwhile. It's a unique piece of Caribbean history.

>> Barbados -- The tour to Orchied World with tea at Sunbury Plantation is truly unique. Orchid World is just what its name implies -- they grow all sorts of orchids in all kinds of ways, some of which might surprise you. The tour continues on to Sunbury Plantation, where you tour the Great House and then have high tea on a patio behind the Great House.

Of course, both Antigua and Barbados offer "fun in the sun" options, too. If you are committed to that, the "Five Star Catamaran with Lunch" is a good alternative on either island.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 14th, 2001, 08:54 AM
First Mate

We were in St. Lucia 2 years ago and took the open truck tour of the island which included lunch. We really enjoyed it as we got up into the rain forests and saw all of the island with a local lady guide who gave a very good history of the island both politically and economically.
Have a great time.
Old July 14th, 2001, 10:46 PM
First Mate

St.Thomas: Take the cruise to Trunks Bay, St. John. Lovely boat trip and best beach I have ever seen. White sand, turquoise, crystal clear water, beautiful beach.

St. Martin: If you want a beach and some shopping, stay in Philipsburg. Rent a beach chair/umbrella near Bobby's pier. The beach is as nice as anywhere. Another fun excursion is the regatta.

Barbados: The jeep tours are great fun. It is hard to get taxis to pick you up, so make sure to go to a hotel if you want beach fun.

Excursions are expensive. Get together a group of folks from the ship and share a cab. Make your own tour.

Watch out for purchases, though. Price the EXACT models in the US. An example: We wanted to purchase Skagen watches. They sold at Bloomingdales for $95 and I had a discount of 15%. They were marked (at one of the most well-known jewelry shops) at $464. The fellow said he'd give us a great deal at $96. We were able to get him down in price, but we could have been badly taken.
Old July 18th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Michael Ferranti

In Barbados, I recommend the Island Jeep Safari tour. They serve a delicious rum punch. (Beware -- it's NOT watered down!)
Old July 18th, 2001, 06:04 PM
JAYinNC

We did almost this exact itinerery two years ago...we did not do Antigua...we did St. Kitts. On our last four cruises, and this one in the Southern Caribbean was no exception, we avoided the ship shore excursions and rented a jeep/car and did our own thing. In all places, driving was easy...roads were in pretty good shape. Biggest problem is that maps do not often show where things are. Yet the most fun was "getting lost" and seeing sights in the process. Remember...it is impossible to get lost on an island. The other difficulty might be that you drive "English" style---. But I still insist that this is truly the way to see a Caribbean Island. We have been to Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Martiniquie, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Martin....In all cases, we rented a jeep/car and saw the sights.

Let me know if this helps

JAY In NC
Old August 26th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Mary Martin

You need to try the excursion to St. John when in St. Thomas. The beaches here are even more beautiful than Maegans Bay,which I never thought was possible. If you want a nice beach in Barbados try the Malibu beach break. In Antigua we went to the beach excursion that they fed you it was nice too but be sure to bring suntan lotion with a high sunblock,we got crispy fried here and almost didn't make the 2nd formal night. St. Marten we have taken two excursions one was the butterfly farm near orient beach which was very interesting (no we didn't see anyone nude, just butterflies) and the other was a semisubmerible to the coral reefs,we enjoyed this more both give you a tour of the island. Oh, and this place has great deals on Jewelry especially Kay's Jewelry. In St. Lucia we did the 7 and a half hour catamaran cruise to Souffries,you get to see the island,the sulfur springs(stinks real bad but was interesting) the plantation that is still in operation, and then they feed you on the boat as you make your way to a secluded spot to swim, I felt we really got our moneys worth on this one.
Have a great time,
Mary
mmarti18@hotmail.com