Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Bobby

Default Belize and Roatan

I am booked on the Norwegian Sun for the December 1 sailing. This ship goes to Belize City and Roatan in the Bay Islands of Honduras. Has anyone visited these two destinations? I'm not much of ship excursions and would like information on what's available to do on your own. Does Roatan have taxis? I have the websites for both locations, but they're not too helpful when it comes to telling one how easy or hard it is to get around by oneself. Any information on these two stops would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize and Roatan

Lucky you Bobby, especially if you are a diver. I have not been to Belize (yet), but I have been to Roatan twice. There is not much more than craft market stalls at the ship's dock. I'm not sure about car rentals being available at the dock, but I don't think so. Avis does rent cars at the airport. I think a taxi would be a better bet.

The first time in Roatan, we walked off the gangway, and hooked with a boat trip going around West End. Here's the link to the excursion we took: <http://roatan-island.awwm.com/saltpepper.htm> The snorkeling from the small cove where the restaurant was was so-so. But the weather had been stormy and had clouded up the water. The best part of that trip was the boat ride and listening to Paul tell us all about Roatan, and the view of the island from the boat.

My second trip to Roatan, I took the ship's excursion to Tabayana Beach, along with just about everyone on the ship. Despite the high number of cruisers flocking to this beach, I have to say I enjoyed it very much. The beach is very long, facilities were very nice, and the snorkeling from the beach was quite good. The bus traverses the island and you have SPECTACULAR views of the ocean from the hill/mountain tops. I would NOT try to drive on these cross country dirt roads myself. A taxi will take you to Tabayana beach, but supposedly you can only get in there with a ship's excursion. That is probably just cruiseline hype.

I know there are other interesting places to go also...Fantasy Island for one.
Old July 19th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

We were in Roatan last year for our Honeymoon. The diving there is great. If you are a diver try to hook up with an excursion to Anthony's Key Resort. They are set up for diving. There were groups diving through the resort scuba facilities that were not staying at the resort. If you are not divers, they have a wonderful program where you can snorkel with the dolphins. The town that the ship docks in is extremely poor and children will be begging for anything. The town is also very dirty with open raw sewage. I would take a taxi to the beach if you can't find an excursion to Anthony's Key.
Old July 25th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Bobby

Thanks so much for your information. I really appreciate it.!!!
Old July 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

In belize we did horseback riding aat banana bank ranch - its worth the $
Old July 25th, 2001, 04:42 PM
MSEm

We took the Zoo Tour in Belize City. Very interesting "natural setting" zoo. Very good guides. English in the language there. Belize follows the British holidays.
Also you can get Zaps Potata Chips in the shop at the hotel at the pier.
Many people are turned off by the appearance at the dock in Roatan and did not go ashore. Easy to get a taxi at the pier. Also there was a tourist information shack at the pier. Some very beautiful beaches and good diving/snokeling. Thinking about going for a week to Anthony's Key. Have a great curise.
Old July 26th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Bobby

Thanks to all. This is helpful and will give us a starting point! I actually like 3rd worldy type of places. More of an adventure.
Old August 11th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jc

I was wondering if the ship docked or tendered people in in Roatan?