Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Maddy

Default Cruising in hurricane season

Does anyone have any experience to share about cruising in the Caribbean in September? I've heard there can be itinerary changes (rarely cancellations) but can the ships really dodge the storms so that everyone isn't seasick all the time?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele
Default Re: Cruising in hurricane season

Well, let me tell you about my two cruise experiences. Both were scheduled for the eastern (8/98 and 8/00). Both times the hurricanes caused our ships to go to the western. I was just glad the last time we left Miami because we got married on the ship before it left. I will never go on a cruise during the month of August. I hope to one day cruise the eastern side. The cruise lines put your safety first when it has to making a choice about a hurricane. If you don't mind taking a chance, I would just go for it. I have seen the same Islands twice, so I will go either before or after the season. Happy cruising.
Old August 27th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Jenny

I went on a Western Caribbean cruise in September of '95 and an Eastern Caribbean cruise in September of last year and had no problems with either. I think it's really a roll of the dice. We're doing East & West Caribbean next month - we'll see how it goes. I have read that someone on an 8/18 cruise to the West Caribbean had to change to East, and still ran into weather trouble and had to skip a couple of ports. Truly hard to tell what Mother Nature has in store at any point it time.

From Seattle, where the weather changes every hour or so, but luckily only 1 hurricane in the last 7 years!
Old August 28th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Admiral

We first cruised in October - it was beautiful.
Next time - September - caught a hurricane and missed 2 ports
next time - November - out of hurricane season right - wrong! - caught the freak late season hurricane - either Lenny or Mitch - I can't remember -missed 2 ports.
Going on 10/21 this year - at least we know the weather is usually good in the far southern Caribbean and the ship does go around bad weather pretty well. Sometimes it can be rough, but I think you just get used to it - we do!
Old August 30th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from a cruise last week. We were supppose to go to the western caribbean but, because of the hurricane our itenarary was changed to the eastern caribbean. We ran into a tropical storm and did not stop in one of the ports. Although I had a wonderful time on the ship, I will never cruise during August or September!
Old August 30th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jenn,
You may have to broaden thought. Hurricane season actually runs July through Nov. Ah well

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 3rd, 2001, 03:46 PM
NancyMarie

Actually Hurricane season is JUNE through NOVEMBER. Read the book THE SHIP AND THE STORM about the WindJammer's Fantome that sunk in the eye of Hurricane Mitch....we'll stick to cruising Dec. through May after reading that horror story, thanks!
Old October 18th, 2001, 11:07 AM
tnmdougherty

Have gone twice in August & dodged Hurricanes & Tropical Storms both time. 2nd time my biggest problem was the threat that the airport in Tampa was going to close before I got there. Only went through an actual rain storm once and it was kind of fun. The ships do a great job of getting out of the way. Just be flexible and know that the ports may have to change. I would sail this way again in a heart beat. You can't beat the prices, and right after school starts there are very few children on board.