Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Mary Martin

Default Excursion ideas for St. Kitts, Dominica, and St. C

We will be cruising on Norweign's Majesty March 3rd and will be going to three islands we've never been to before, St. Kitts, Dominica, and St. Croix. If anyone has been to these islands and can recommend an excursion, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mary
mmarti18@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Excursion ideas for St. Kitts, Dominica, and S

Hi Mary,
Only been to St. Kitts and we went into town and shared a taxi and went out to Turtle beach, about a 45 minute very scenic ride. We did pre-arrange with the driver to come back later in the afternoon for the return trip and he showed up right on time. Very interesting beach, you can actually see over to Nevis and they have the cutest little monkeys there. You can purchase peanuts to feed them as well, very nice beach day, I'd go there again.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Old August 28th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Lillian

Hi Mary:
I've been on 12 cruises and I can tell you about Dominica and St. Croix. Dominica doesn't have nothing to look. I don't know why this cruise ship goes there. If you stay in the ship it will be ok, but if you want to go outside, you are going to lose your time. About St. Croix it is beautiful and you would like it. About St. Kitts, well for me on this December, I am going there on the Galaxy ship for the first time.

Hope you have a nice trip.
Old August 29th, 2001, 11:32 PM
Luis & Gail

I just got back from Carnival Triumph and we went to St. Croix. We "accidentally" found a great tour in one of the shops right off the boardwalk. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the shop but you can't miss it! It's the only shop with air conditioning! It will have signs on the door and window advertising their snoreling and diving tours. It;'s right off the boardwalk and to your left! They took us to Cane Bay about a 20 min. drive in a nice air-conditioned van. $20 per person gets you to and from the beach and snorkeling exquipment for as long as you want! The taxis and other vans charge $16 per person just to get there and back. The cruise line offers this for about $33 per person and for only 3 hours total! This is a great way to see some of the island and spend your afternoon at the beach! Hope you find it! If snokeling is not your thing, they offer for $10 the ride there and back if yo just want to lay out on the beach! Have fun!

Gail
Chicago
Old August 30th, 2001, 01:14 AM
marjmy

Gail, DOminica is a beautiful island, you should try and book a tour from the pier, which will give you an island tour and a trip to the trafalgar falls, it was GREAT climbing to the falls, your taxi guide will likely hook you up with a guide to take you to the falls they are great, there are hot springs there. We thought this was a wonderful port.
Marjmy
Old September 10th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Lillian,

I must say that I'm baffled by your post. Here's the list of excursions that Princess offered last year on Dominica.

DOM-A "Trafalgar Falls and Roseau Highlights"

DOM-B "Emerald Pool and Roseau Highlights"

DOM-C "Dominica's Favorites Tour"

DOM-D "Grand Tour of Dominica"

DOM-E "Dominica: Home of the Carib Indian"

DOM-F "Layou Valley Scenic Drive"

DOM-G "Dominica Mountain Biking"

DOM-H "Hike to Middleham Falls"

DOM-J "Wacky Rollers 4WD Safari"

DOM-R "Dominica Whale and Dolphin Watching"

DOM-T "Sea Kayak and Snorkel Adventure"

DOM-V "Dominica Champagne Reef Snorkeling"

DOM-W "Dominica Discover Scuba Diving"

DOM-X "Dominica Certified Scuba"

Several of these excursions visit unique attractions that simply have no comparison to other islands -- a substantial tropical rain forest with its pools and waterfalls, the only existing tribe of Carib Indians, etc. It also looks like there are plenty of other options if you don't want to take a sightseeing trip.

Although some cruise lines might not offer all of these excursions, I suspect that all of the major cruise lines do offer most of them -- and other cruse lines might offer additional excursions that Princess has chosen not to offer.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2001, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Mary,

There's plenty to do on all of these islands -- but the best choice for you depends wholly upon your interests.

>> On St. Kitts, I highly recommend the Island Highlights tour if it's your first visit there. The tour encompasses two unique attractions -- a Batik factory (where they prints the patterns on the cloth) and adjacent gardens and Brimstone Hill Fortress (known as the "Gibralter of the Caribbean"), which offers some spectacular views from its lofty perch at the top of a fairly substantial hill.

>> The "Grand Tour of Dominca" hits most of the highlights there, but it does take a full day and it's quite ambitious. Check <a href=http://www.cruise-forums.com/read.php?f=33&i=1525&t=1429> this post </a> for a list of other possibilities. NCL's optional tours might not duplicate this list exactly, but probably will be fairly similar overall.

I have not been to St. Croix, so I won't attempt to give you recommendations for that island.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.