Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2001, 09:42 PM
clay b

Default EL YUNQUE Rain Forest/Puerto Rico

Hi. We're sailing on Celebrity's Millennium in November. One of our stops will be San Juan, Puerto Rico. We've been there many times and the only thing I really want to do again is visit el Yunque rain forest. I have heard that it is shut down for repairs or something. Anyone know about this? I've tried websites to no avail.
thanks,
clay b
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Suzan

Default Re: EL YUNQUE Rain Forest/Puerto Rico

Hello,I was just there in August,,and it was fantastic,,all open@
Old September 17th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Genie

Hi...we too (God willing of course) will be on the Millennium in November and have a great interest in the rain forest. Like you I read that this was not an option BUT just read the post hearing that now it is, good news. Sounds like you enjoyed it very much and we have never been, can you share? Is there a lot of walking involved; in particular "steep" walking? Thanks!
Genie
Old September 17th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Tom Dills

We're on Millennium 11/11 and according to the Celebrity Shore Excursion site there is a Rainforest tour offered. It's a four hour tour scheduled to begin at 1:30. If you have your booking number you can see everything that's available and even book excursions online. Here's the text of the description:

"After completion of customs formalities, this tour will start with a drive along the north coastal plain to the east central part of Puerto Rico and the picturesque village of Palmer. Your tour will then proceed up a steep mountain highway to see a tree nursery and experimental station, before entering the U.S. National Caribbean Forest. Here, you will see beautiful cascades and waterfalls, a profusion of jungle-like tropical vegetation, coffee growing wild and ferns of all varieties, many of which are some 30 feet high. You may wish to climb the observation tower for a panoramic view or you may prefer to see it from one of the many stops provided along the road. There are many varieties of trees, including exotic hardwoods such as mahogany, teak and ausuba. For those participants finally disembarking, this tour terminates at the airport."

And the boilerplate disclaimer:

"To fully participate may require leisurely walking over primarily even surfaces. There may be a limited number of steps, a minimal amount of cobblestones or uneven surfaces, and some standing for extended periods of time."
Old September 21st, 2001, 01:19 PM
watergirl

Did the rain forest tour this past November and found it really enjoyable.
There was some walking and steps involved, but nothing really strenuous.
There were several older guests on the tour and they seemed to not have any problems. Would defintely recommend the tour.
Old September 21st, 2001, 09:45 PM
Lillian

I live in Puerto Rico and I can tell you that prepare everything so you can go to El Yunque. It is beautiful. I hope you can go. Have a nice trip.
Old October 19th, 2001, 09:17 AM
First Mate

We are going on a cruise on Adventure of the Seas Dec 2. We are arriving in Puerto Rico on the day before and spending one night at Casa Flamboyant in El Yunque. Wish we had more time there but maybe on another trip. This place looks awesome.

http://www.rainforestsafari.com/flamboy.html