Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default St Thomas Snorkel

My husband and I plan to shop in the a.m. at this port, but we would like to snorkel in the afternoon. Any suggestions on where to go where it isn't too crowded?
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: St Thomas Snorkel

Well the snorkeling is excellent at Coral World/Coki Beach, but if there is more then two ships in port that day it will be crowded.

Personally, I like to snorkel by the Bolongo Beach Hotel. There is a reef out front and there is even part of a sunken ship there. This is a bit off the beaten path, but I guarentee that it will not be crowded. I only know this because I have stayed at the Watergate Villas, which is next door, many times and snorkeled out front many times. The reef also keeps the waves very small.
Old September 30th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Michelle,
One of the nicer places to snorkel is to go to St. Johns, Trunk bay, but in the afternoon all the ship tours end up there and it does get crowded. We just started out there early in the AM, took the Red Hook Ferry and got back for a late lunch onboard, then hit the shops, at least that worked out well for us. Have fun and just be sure to do some comparision shopping at home before you hit the streets in St. Thomas, it pays to be a smart shopper, have fun.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 30th, 2001, 09:14 PM
chetter

This is another idea take the catamran sailing trip to Buck island the snorking is fanstatic .there even a old ww 2 freighter there you can snorkle to ,it was allot of fun

CK
Old October 1st, 2001, 09:02 AM
Passenger

i agree with donna. snorkeling at coki beach is ok lots of fish not much coral.you can rent beach chairs thier , the guy will give you some milk bones to feed the fish.we will be in st. thomas 10/8 (carnival destiny).planning on taking a am ferry to st.jons then a taxi to trunk bay.they have a snorkeling trail there complete with underwater plaques that describe marine life in the designated areas.trunk bay is listed as one of the nices beaches in the caribbean.
Old October 1st, 2001, 09:32 PM
mlb

I agree. St. John is georgeous & you just don't want to miss this if you've never been there before. I have gone 3 times, but each one of my times, we had to go in the early a.m. due our ship's excursion time. (I am not an early riser.) It did leave us the afternoon to shop, though. The jitney ride to the beach is beautiful as well.
If you go by yourselves & not on a tour, you can rent a jeep & hit some of the other beautiful snorkeling bays on the island as well, but will have to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. Not bad, though, as there are signs along the road that direct you to the various areas, which are really easy to find. Someone told me during a hurricane a few years ago, Coki Beach just didn't have the snorkeling it once did & it would be years before it was good again. But sounds like things have improved already!
Old October 3rd, 2001, 03:32 PM
clayb

I agree with Donna. I like to snorkel in the a.m., make it back to the ship to freshen up and then take a taxi to town to shop in the afternoon.

You should go to St. John at least once. I've been and enjoyed it, it's very beautiful. But this time, i will take a taxi in the am to Magen's bay, then shop in the afternoon. At least, that's the current plan.

happy sailing!

clay b
Old October 3rd, 2001, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Clay B,
On our second trip to St. Thomas, we too just grabbed a taxi and headed over to Meagans bay, again very beautiful beach, but nothing like Trunk bay, no snorkeling, but worth going to relax for a good beach day, enjoy. Also you can have the cab drop you downtown on the way back to the pier if you want, quite a few people did just that. Have a great time.

Donna
Tuesday chat Host
Old October 19th, 2001, 12:32 AM
First Mate

Don't confuse this Buck Island w/the one closer to St. Croix, which is, I believe, part of an underwater nat'l. park. I have heard the two offer different sights. Once is mostly staghorn coral (the one you go to from St. Thos.) & the other has more fish. Haven't been myself, but was told this by some of the diving guides who answered questions about shore excursions on our ship.