Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:45 PM
novicecruzer

Default San Juan hotel

Help-Am booked to arrive in San Juan 1/11, the day before our Infinity cruise departs. Any suggestions for a good, conveniently located hotel-under $250 per night? Hopefully not too far from airport and pier. Will airport have a minivan available to get us to the ship? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: San Juan hotel

Hi novicecruzer,
We once did a pre-day at the Wyndham in Old San Juan, right across the street from the pier and (I think) in that price range. Very nicely located and you can walk around Old San Juan right from there. They do not however have a shuttle service, but you can catch a cab at the airport for around $20.

Happy Cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 18th, 2001, 09:18 AM
novicecruzer

Thanks for the quick reply Donna. One other question, is it safe to walk around Old San Juan. I will be with my 18 yr old daughter,just the 2 of us.
Old October 18th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Novicecruizer,
Yes, its safe in Old San Juan, but at night I'd keep to the pier area and not go wondering around, you just never know. We've always walked around during the day and never had a problem, lots of interesting shops to check out and you can also walk to El Morro, which you will also see as you leave.

Here is a pic of El Morro on a kite flying day :-)

Donna
Tuesday Chat HOst

Old October 18th, 2001, 07:14 PM
novicecruzer

Great shot Donna! Thanks for your input--looks like Wyndham Old San Juan will be the one. Nice to be able to check that item off my worry list!
Old October 19th, 2001, 10:03 AM
First Mate

We are staying at the ESJ Tower in December. It is only 5 minutes from the airport and on the beach. I have seen rates on the internet ranging from $185 to $225. I got an email quote for $160 from them, but when I called to make the reservation it was only $130. Check out their website:

http://www.esjtowers.com/
Old October 21st, 2001, 03:50 AM
Admiral

We are on RCI's Adventure of the Seas on 1/20. I have boooked the Ritz Carlton for $248.00 the night before. Considering the Caribe Hilton is $315, I would much rather stay at the Ritz!!!!! Good luck.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Two other very historic and quaint hotels right in Old San Juan are the El Convento Hotel and the Hotel Milano. Both only have a small amount of rooms. Go to PRtourism.com and find a list of hotels. There you will read about each one and it gives their direct telephone number. When you call make sure you ask for their very lowest rate and use any discounts (AAA, credit cards, coupons or sales from Sunday paper, etc) that you can think of. Even try orbitz.com to see what price they may be able to get for you. Remember the travel industry is hurting right now and you may be lucky to find a sail. The price for the Ritz was not very reasonable and that hotel is getting run down not up to Ritz quality. Wyndham El San Juan is a much better property if you want to be on the beach.
Bon Voyage.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 11:25 PM
LINDA NAILON

The El convento is a very nice and reasonably priced. The people who run it are fantastiv.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 11:18 AM
Admiral

I'm with nanatravel on the Hotel Milano if you're looking for good value. I've never stayed there myself but just sort of tripped over it and began recommending it to people. So far, no complaints and good comments.

I am particularly fond of the El Convento, which is pricier but includes a large continental breakfast and wine and cheese every evening. It's a nice place to meet nice people.

Old San Juan is a very safe city these days (wasn't always)

You might want to cruise over to the archived feature articles. There's one called Bienvenidos a San Juan that should give you and your daughter a lot of options.

A cab from the airport to downtown was $18 the last time we were there which wasn't all that long ago.

Ten un buen viaje !!! (Have a good trip, that's an order !!!)

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and sometimes Puerto Rican
Old October 25th, 2001, 09:59 AM
novicecruzer

Many thanks to all for your advice--I am leaning toward the El San Juan now since we would be on the beach and from what I have seen in my research it looks like a very special place. Your input has been invaluable!
Old October 26th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Lillian

I live in Puerto Rico and you can find good hotels in Old San Juan near to the Pier. One of them is the Milano Hotel. Also if you stay in Old San Juan you can enjoy the beauty of Old San Juan. Hope enjoy your trip.

Lillian
Old October 30th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you are looking for a pre-cruise hotel on the beach you cannot go wrong with the Wyndham El San Juan Hotel located right on beautiful Isla Verde beach. The hotel is located right near the airport with stores, restaurants, fast food places all conveniently located within walking distance of the hotel. We just came back from a precruise stay at the Intercontinental hotel in Isla Verde which is right next door to the Wyndham El San Juan. This was also a very nice hotel. If the prices are too high at the El San Juan you may want to check out the Intercontinental. It is located right on Isla Verde beach with a nice freeform pool & hot tub. I don't think you could go wrong with either hotel.
Carole =^..^=
Old November 28th, 2001, 10:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

THE WYNDHAM OLD SAN JUAN IS OK-BUT A BETTER DEAL IS EMBASSY SUITES-THEY WILL PICK YOU UP FROM THE AIRPORT,TAKE YOU TO THE SHIP,GIVE YOU FREE BREAKFAST,GIVE YOU A SUITE AND HAVE FREE DRINKS AT CERTAIN TIMES.I'VE STAYED AT BOTH-I'M STAYING AT EMBASSY SUITES ON FRIDAY EVE.(205.00US)