Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:21 PM
Milissa

Default Playa Sol Beach Club..(and other questions)

Hi. We are going on a cruise on December 2, 2001. We are going on the Enchantment of the Seas through Royal Caribbean. Our ports will be Cozumel, Key West, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya.

We are interested in the Playa Sol Beach Club. Has anyone on this board visited there? If so, can you give me a review about it? We are alos interested in going to Carlos and Charlies? How far away is the restaurant from the beach club. Plus I would like to shop a little too.

I would also like to know about Seven Mile Beach. We are alos thinking about possibly Stingray City.

Any reviews about any of these ports would be appreciated. Please email me or post here.

Thanks!

Milissa
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2001, 08:55 PM
tnmdougherty

Default Re: Playa Sol Beach Club..(and other questions)

You're taking a great itinerary. Key West and Cozumel both have a shore excursion on the Fury Catamaran that includes snorkeling and a nice beach. I would do that in Key West and go to Playa Sol in Cozumel. Also no trip is complete until you go to Carlos & Charlies. Just take a cab from the pier. C&C is on the main drag where all the shopping is. You might want to shop first, otherwise you don't know what you'll end up buying!!

Stingray City is a fabulous tour, but be prepared for LOTS of stingrays!! I was a little bit intimidated at first, but they are surprisingly gentle. Just don't do what my husband did and cover yourself with bait. He ended up with a big hickey on his arm when one ray just couldn't get enough. (More of that story under the most embarassing moments thread.)

Have a fabulous time!
Old October 22nd, 2001, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Milissa,
I did find a recent members review of Enchtment, but I don't see any reference to the post stop of Costa Maya, in fact this cruise was an Eastern itinary, but you should still get some interesting information from their expierence onboard, hope you enjoy it:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_RCI/Enchantment10.cfm>

Happy Cruising!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 25th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Taking a Sting Ray City tour is a must on Grand Cayman. Whether you book a ship's tour or not is really up to you. Captain Marvin and Captain Crosby both are mentioned as reputable sailor who offer tours. Log on to their web sites for information. Since you tender at Grand Cayman, you must allow more time and I have found that ship's leave the Cayman's relatively early like 3 p.m. You may not have time to do both the Sting Ray tour and Seven Mile Beach if you book a ship's tour. Go early if there are two time slots as the rays will be hungry.

Playa del Sol can be done on your own. When I was there it was not a resort as the ship's tours advertize. Just take a taxi (about $12 each way) and have the driver return for you. There was a restaurant and restrooms as well as a Craft Bazaar with better bargains than downtown. The beach and water was beautiful. When you return to town, just get dropped off downtown for more shopping and a stop at Carlos & Charlies. Watch that Rum! It can and will sneak up on you!
Bon Voyage
Old October 29th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Passenger

We were on the Enchantment in July. We had a great time ..it is a very beautiful ship. When in Grand Cayman, we had a 3 year old with us so we decided to take the ship tour for the stingrays. It worked out really well. We were the first tender off the ship (people who did not have shore excursions through RCI had to wait 1-2 hours to disembark). We were taken to a boat that went out to the sandbar. There were a lot of people on the doubledecker boat (maybe 75 ) but it never felt crowded and once there the sandbar had quite a few boats out there. The stingrays were amazing. My mom said she wasn't getting in the water but when she saw how safe it was she was right in there. We brought a life vest for our 3 year old and he was fine too. After the stingrays, we were told we could get back on the bus to go to the ship or walk across the street to 7 mile beach...which we did. we came out at the Hyatt Hotel. What a beautiful spot!!! We spent the afternoon there and caught a taxi at the Hyatt and then went shopping for a bit before we got back on the ship. One of our best days! In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park. $8 taxi ride and $10 entrance fee. The snorkeling was great and you could rent anything you need right on the beach. You can also swim with the dophins (or watch other people ) and there was a sea lion show and a nature trail. We spent the entire day there and did'nt get to go into town...next trip we will.