Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Another Sting Ray City Question

Do the species of sting rays that are at the sting ray city have barbs? That is, can they sting you? The tour sounds really cool and I would really like to do it, but I have seen people get stung by sting rays in Florida in the Gulf of Mexico before and am a bit scared. I know that the stings I have seen in Florida are very painful for several days and required medical attention so they don't get infected.

I want to go on this tour, but am afraid of getting stung.

Does anyone know if these kind can sting? Has anyone seen someone get stung before or are they so used to people they don't care anymore?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Another Sting Ray City Question

You can get stung, the tail is still able to sting you. However they are not vicious as they are used to people/tourists visiting them. The guide will give you squid to feed them if you like to get the stingrays to come closer to you or you can just stand there and observe. I plan on buying an underwater camera and taking a lot of pictures.

I was on a cruise in September and did not do this trip but knew someone who did get stung with the tail. It was painful BUT she was fine. She had moved at the same time a stingray went by and just by chance the tail hit her leg. So there is a possibility of getting stung.

I will be doing this trip with CaptMarvin the end of November
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Re: Sting Ray City. You have to do the "sting ray shuffle". Just shuffle along on the sandy bottom.
Elaine
Old October 26th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

My husband was stung but not bad. He banged into a huge ray and it brushed against him.He had a welt and some slight stinging but all in all okay. He can't wait to go to sting=ray city again. So I guess the answer to your question is.. Yes the stingrays do have barbs but they don't try to use them!
Old October 26th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Yeoman

Thanks, I am familiar with the "sting ray shuffle" and will use it. It just sounds to cool pass up. Now I just have to convince my husband.
Old October 26th, 2001, 09:51 AM
tamara

The "stinger" is not what many people imangine, it is not so much for an aggressive attack, but for self defense. It is a barb that varies in size depending on the size of the ray. It lays flat, parallel, to to tail, not extending the full length but more like a 1/4 - 1/3 the length of the tail, not really projecting up, or out. The fact that an above poster was "stung" may be seen as a fluke of sorts. The only real danger comes from stepping on the ray, thus stepping on the barb. Which incidently would probably cause more harm to the ray. These are incredibly beautiful, passive creatures. A few hours in the water with them will be a life long cherished memory. The crew will instruct you to shuffel your feet, not to lift them as you walk along. I have personally taken this tour 3 times with my family and friends and love it . Go! Have a awesome time,you won't regret it.
Old October 30th, 2001, 12:10 AM
Marsha Ann

We were just at Sting Ray City last month, and we both felt this excursion was the best one of the entire cruise! It was really a lot of fun. You didn't have to get very close if you chose not too. Although there were two boats of tourists when we were there, there was plenty of room to move around.I almost tripped over a sting ray and didn't get stung. The tops of their bodies are very soft, almost velvety. I did feed them, keeping my thumb tucked tightly down. (They eat by suction). The whole time was really very enjoyable. You'll have a great time! Enjoy. Wish we could go with you.
Old October 30th, 2001, 06:44 PM
gleight

You're probably already convinced, but let me add my input. I just got back Monday from the Caymans, and it was the best part of the Cruise. We did a 3-hour tour ($35) with Captain Marvin, and I highly recommend it. There were only 15 people on a 45-foot boat. Three stops, and all were awesome.

Stingray City: Don't worry about getting stung. If you don't step on them (and sometimes even if you do), you'll be fine. It's a little weird at first, but you get used to them bumping into you and sliding past you. With the assistance of the guide, I not only fed one but picked one up for a picture!!

The other two stops were a Coral Garden and the Barrier Reef. Our guide lured an eel and a baby shark out of hiding so we could take underwater pictures. Unbelievable....
Old October 31st, 2001, 04:55 PM
Robocop

Michelle,
Yes they have barbs. That said, I don't know of any reports of anyone ever being injured by one of them. The rays there are very familiar with humans and know how clumsy we are so they do not 'rest' on the sea floor there to make sure you don't step on them and hurt them. Also you will be told not to grab them by the tail, like that is something that needs to be said! <G> When I was there last month I petted a number of them and even held a few in my arms. They are very friendly and it is quite safe.
Jim
Old November 3rd, 2001, 12:55 PM
Admiral

The worst thing a ray did to me was knock me over. I'm vertically challenged and their cruising altitude in the water seems to be right at knee height for me. CLIPPING PENALTY, Stingray !!!

I hooked up with another small woman and we stood looking over the other's shoulder and advising "incoming!" when we saw one on the glide path.

We'll be "Marvining" again in a couple of weeks. Can't wait !!!

Hint: Book the earliest possible tour before those "cruise ship people" start invading !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor