Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2001, 07:29 PM
First Mate

Default Help with Barbados

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going on the Ocean Princess in December and one of our ports is Barbados. We weren't thrilled with the ship excursions so I thought I would appeal to the vast knowledge of those who frequent this site for some ideas.

My husband enjoys snorkeling while it is not really that important to me. I am more of a beach and shopping type. Any ideas?

All info is appreciated!!

Thanks very much,

Andrea
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Help with Barbados

There is lots of info on the cruisecritic.com site. There's a guy by the name of Barbados who apparantly spends 1/2 his time there, and seems to have a lot of good suggestions. Good luck.
Old October 26th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Yeoman

We did two things when we were in Barbados.

First we went on the Malibu rum Factory tour. You get a tour of the facility, about 30 minutes,a free drink, and then you get to use their private beach for a couple hours. They have lockers and changing rooms and beach chairs that you can use free of charge (the locker had a deposit that was returned when I returned the key). There is also a lunch buffet that is put up there, some of the tour packages include lunch ours didn't but it smelt real good.

We also went on the Jolly Roger pirate ship. This is sort of a booze cruise. You go on a 2 story pirate ship which takes you to a beach. A barge takes you in to the beach if you want or you can stay on the ship. All the rum punch you can drink is included and it is strong, so people are pretty toasted by the time they return to the cruise ship. On the pirate ship they have a rope swing and a plank/diving board. It was entertaining.

We had some friends go to caves there and they were not impressed.
Old October 26th, 2001, 05:29 PM
jp garnier

Hi Michelle.. I will be on Barbados during New Year cruise on the Ocean Princess and woul appreciate as much info as possible on the rum tour including how to best get there, what side of the island it is located, ie: carribean? Would you happen to have a brochure on it. Thanks a lot, JP
Old October 26th, 2001, 10:31 PM
Lillian

Take an excursion to the Caves. They are beautiful.
Old October 28th, 2001, 04:51 PM
rcmsw

We went on an all day sail last year that included snorkeling and beach time. Lunch was served on the ship. There were people who chose not to snorkel and this was only one time for about 20 minutes where ship anchored off shore. The rest of that time, other than sailing, was on a great beach. They provided floats to relax on in the water. Great way to catch rays if you want to. Barbados had the nicest beaches I have ever seen and I've been to my share of beaches. Clear, clear water.
Old October 28th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Lana

We were on the OP in March 2000 and took the Land Rover 4x4 adventure in Barbados. Best excursion on the cruise! The guide gave us some history, gave us some photo opp stops and took us thru the forest out to some beautiful cliffs for more photos. Great way to see the island. Beats taking a bus tour. We are going on the Infinity in two weeks and were pleased to see that the 4x4 excursion is offered in St. Lucia. We are on it!
Old October 31st, 2001, 11:59 PM
First Mate

I was on the RCL Monarch last august and did the catamaran sail and snorkel. Had to go over the Jolly Rodger to get to it. This was my 2nd cat sail of the cruise and it was truly awesome and very relaxing. We had about 12 people instead of usual 30.
I also heard the caves and 4x4 were very good, but I highly recommend the cat sail.
Old November 4th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

I just found my brouchure, we moved 3 months ago and many things are still lost.

Malibu Beach Club and Visitor Center
Hours: M-F 9am-5pm
Daily Tours: Tours of the distillery run daily every half an hour except between 11-12, which is lunch break.

Luncheon Tours: Special tours including lunch are available. Pick up at 11am and return at 2:30pm. Luncheon tours must be booked 24 hours in advance. Transportation is included.

Special Day Pass: A day pass allows you to enjoy our facilities from 9am to 4pm. 24 hour advance booking required. Transportation included.

The distillary is real close to the cruise ship docks. It is in Brighton which is just north of the Deep Water Harbour. I think that I could see the ships from the beach, but am not sure.

Tel (246) 425-9393 Fax (246) 425-8371
e-mail malibubeach@sunbeach.net website www.malibu-rum.com

There are not any prices in the brouchure. We paid $25/person to go on Carnival's tour which was 3-4 hours. We had the tour and then access to the private beach (they have showers and lockers for free) and one free drink per person. The lunch was firing up when we left and it looked really good.
Old November 4th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

I just found my brouchure, we moved 3 months ago and many things are still lost.

Malibu Beach Club and Visitor Center
Hours: M-F 9am-5pm
Daily Tours: Tours of the distillery run daily every half an hour except between 11-12, which is lunch break.

Luncheon Tours: Special tours including lunch are available. Pick up at 11am and return at 2:30pm. Luncheon tours must be booked 24 hours in advance. Transportation is included.

Special Day Pass: A day pass allows you to enjoy our facilities from 9am to 4pm. 24 hour advance booking required. Transportation included.

The distillary is real close to the cruise ship docks. It is in Brighton which is just north of the Deep Water Harbour. I think that I could see the ships from the beach, but am not sure.

Tel (246) 425-9393 Fax (246) 425-8371
e-mail malibubeach@sunbeach.net website www.malibu-rum.com

There are not any prices in the brouchure. We paid $25/person to go on Carnival's tour which was 3-4 hours. We had the tour and then access to the private beach (they have showers and lockers for free) and one free drink per person. The lunch was firing up when we left and it looked really good.
Old November 10th, 2001, 10:20 AM
First Mate

I really want to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my post. I have everyone's post printed and will be tring to decide soon - everything sounds wonderful!

Thanks again!

Andrea
Old November 15th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Passenger

We're off to Barbados beginning of Dec taking a cruise on Arcadia. If you want to visit a beach then take a taxi up to St James. (In Feb 01 it cost US 15) Perhaps ask the taxi to drop you off at Holetown. The driver will collect you at whatever time you want - just pay him when you get back to port. There is a small shopping mall (supermarket, Cave shephard etc) and other quaint souvenir shops in Holetown. The best bit is the beach. You can walk for at least an hour down the beach in one direction passing in front of the famous Sandy Lane Hotel. Beautiful white sand. In some places it can be a bit narrow, some rocks, but persevere, its wonderful. I recommend wearing something like flipflops to protect your feet where it gets a bit rocky.
Good luck!
Old November 19th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

I was reading your suggestion about the caves in Barbados. Which caves? Can you tell me a little about it?

Thanks in advance

Tim