Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Chankanaab Park questions

Has anyone been to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel? I know that there is a $10 fee to get in. Does the fee cover the botanical gardens or the sea lion show? If not, how much more are these items? How is the snorkeling at the park?

Thanks.

Paula
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2001, 07:17 PM
tnmdougherty

Default Re: Chankanaab Park questions

I haven't been there yet but I heard the snorkeling was very good. I think the $10 fee gets you in the park; dolphin encounters and snorkeling equipment etc are probably extra. We leave in two weeks and our plan is to rent snorkel gear onboard ship and just take a taxi to the park. We will be back on 12/2 and I will be happy to send you a review then.

Terri Dougherty
Old November 11th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Admiral

We were at Chankannab Park at Easter, 2000. It was really great, but crowded. The grounds were beautiful and the snorkeling was great after you got past the crowd entrance to the water. You can't just walk from the beach into the water, but have to get in by way of steps they must of built. It is very crowded at that point because everyone is adjusting their snorkeling equipment and trying to adjust themselves into getting ready to snorkel. The little kids just hang around there and are kicking and splashing, so you can imagine that it is hard to try to get yourself ready to go. There is a floating dock a short distance from the entrance to the water that is fun to snorkel to. It kind of gives you a destination to head for. There are a lot of fish to see and it is really beautiful. As far as the dolphin encounter - it was extra. We had our own snorkeling equipment so I don't know about that, but I can take a good guess that it is extra. If I remember correctly, just about everything was extra.
I have a suggestion - if you can, go to the El Presidente hotel and snorkel off the beach there. They have a sunken ship and between 6 of us, we thought it was better than Chankannab. The fish were friendly (take some crumbled bread or crackers in a plastic bag and when you open it you are in for a BIG suprise. They were all around me and I was laughing so hard I had to get out of the water. Not as crowded as the park and you can get in off a beach and the fish were really great.
Well, good luck and happy snorkeling
Old November 11th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Passenger

We are leaving on the Inspiration on 12/02 and plan to snorkel at Chankanaab Park. I hope you have a great time. By the time you return I will be leaving.
Old November 12th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen,

I have read that the El Presidente hotel has a wonderful beach. How much did the
hotel charge you to use the beach? We have read that they charge $20 per person.

Paula
Old November 13th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don't know about the shows, but the beach and snorkeling is great!