Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Default What to do/see in Belize City?

I am going to take a cruise to either the Southern or Western caribbean in June. While I am trying to decide which ship to take, I came across a new ship (Carnival Pride) that stops in the port of Belize City. I have never heard of anyone taking a cruise that called at this port. What is located there? Is it worth a stop?

My impression is that maybe since there is not much tourism there, I can get better deals. Then again, maybe if there is not so much tourism there, there may not be any options of things to do besides the ship's excursions.

Any ideas/input?

dmiklas@prodigy.net
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What to do/see in Belize City?

We just got back 2 days ago from Carnival Spirit. Went to Belize City and there really is not much there in the actual port. We went on a ship sponsored tour and it was not that great. Rode over dusty, rocky roads for 1 hour and ended up in a baboon sanctuary hosted by volunteers. Walked through some of the "rain forest" and did see several howler monkeys and got very close to 2-3. Then back on a 1 hour bus ride. Would not visit there again. Carol
Old December 9th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Robocop

Carol,
The shore excursions have had lots of problems on this intinary in the past and CCl is working very hard to correct this problem and establish better tours and tour operators. I know this as my best friend is the new Shore Excursion Manager onboard the Spirit. She is supposed to be on the main office instead of sailing onboard a ship but because she is so good they placed her on this ship to get the program working up to standards. She has been putting in 18 hr and more days since joining this ship in late Nov and slowly but surely the tours are getting better as she can impliment them. We intend on sailing with her in Jan and will be taking all the shore excursions we can to see if we can point out to her what needs to be worked on more. Expect this intinary to be a highlite of the Caribbean when the shore excursions are fixed with better people.
Jim
Old December 10th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Going on the Spirit Dec 29. Robocop, does your friend have recommended shore excursions? Going with wife and 8 and 14 year old kids. Thank you.
Old December 10th, 2001, 06:05 PM
holly

Going 12/13. And what has your friend managed to change/fix/upgrade? The vaious boards are real down on this itineary and particularly Carnival's choice of excursions/operators. Should I just save my $$ and enjoy being aboard or has there ben a significant improvement?
Old December 12th, 2001, 08:56 AM
SueBar

I posted this question to someone from Belize "If you had 8 hours to do something, what would it be?" They mentioned the Stingray Tour was tops in their book, and also anything dealing with the flora and fauna - as it truely is a lush, tropical rainforest. Our family is sailing 1/5 on the Sun and we are 'leaning' toward the Cave tubing and Jungle walk! - Happy Cuising!