Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Martin or St. Thomas

We are sailing on the Golden Princess and are thinking about taking the ship's snorkle excursion. Where nad which excursion can you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Martin or St. Thomas

Probably St. Martin. But it does depend on where and when you are sailing and wish to snorkel. St. John's would be a good option at Trunk Bay.
Bon Voyage
Old December 13th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cruisingal,
I have to agree with Nanatravel about going over to St. Johns for snorkeling, best bet on that itinary and its absolutely beautiful on St. Johns. You can either go with a ship tour or go yourself by taking a cab to Red Hook Ferry and then another cab over to Trunk Bay.

Have fun!

Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 13th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought that Trunk's Bay wasn't a great as it use to be. I've been told that it has taken a blow from visitors. Has anyone been lately? Are there plenty of fish nad coral to see? If so then this is what we will do. I just don't want to be disappointed. It is quite a journey just getting there.
Thanks
Old December 17th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Passenger

How far is the Red Hook Ferry from the cruise ship piers? Cab fare? How long is the ferry ride and how often does it go? Any problems getting cabs back to the pier from the ferry? What's the best way to do St Johns (rental car, carriage, etc.)? Good restaurants for lunch on St. Johns? Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dennis,
I forget exactly how much the cab was to Red Hook, around $5 and another $3/4 for the ferry ride and then a short ride out to Trunk Bay.
The Ferry's fun every hour both going and returning, about 20 minute boat ride over there. There is also a $4.00 admission fee into Trunk Bay, since it is a National Park. Have fun, we thought it was definately worth the trip over there, enjoy.

DOnna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 26th, 2001, 10:33 AM
browezilla

Trunk bay is stunning in its beauty, as is Magen's Bay on St. Thomas, but I find many of the other beaches have better snorkeling. On St. Thomas, Secret Harbor/Beach, Sapphine, etc. I think are better. On St. John, check out any of the beaches surrounding Trunk Bay (don't recall the names, Caneel, Honeymoon, Cinnamon, Maho, or something like that). There is also some EXCELLENT snorkeling on the south side of St. John, but that is less accessible. Also, the ship excursions will take you out to some islands that have good snorkelling, but many of the beaches I've mentioned above are just as good (except Magen's, not much at all there).
Old December 27th, 2001, 12:33 AM
hockeymom

I don't know when you went, but these are my notes from our August cruise :

St. Thomas was fantastic. The first week my son and I took the taxi to Red Hook ($8+tip), the ferry to St John ($3) and then another taxi to Trunk's Bay ($4+tip) All of these prices are per person. Then there is an entrance fee to Trunk's Bay. Because my son was only 16, he was free but I was $5. On the way back we had to take the taxi again to the ferry. We found that there was a direct ferry back to Charlotte Amalie for $7. However - this ferry ends up across the bay from the ships. It worked out nicely because it ends at the open-air market and downtown area. The taxi back from there was $3. Trunk's Bay was fantastic.