Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Passenger

Default San Juan

I'll be visiting San Juan on the Explorer and was wondering if anybody had done an excursion to the Arecibo Radio Observatory (the largest in the world.) RCCL doesn't offer this tour but I know local operators do have tours that go there. I'd be most concerned about the fact that the Explorer leaves early (2pm I think.)

It will be a bit strange visiting San Juan as a port of call. Loads of ships call it their home but it seems like few visit. I'd like to do find something to do other than considering it just a day at sea, since Nassau and Labadee aren't really excursion friendly ports, which leaves only St. Thomas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: San Juan

Hi Brian,
Yes, thats true, Explorer does leave there at 2:00 which doesn't leave a whole lot of time to do much. I also agree with you, it was strange to have San Juan as a port of call. In case you haven't already done so, going up to the fort El MOrro is always an interesting way to spend some time, just make sure you do make it back to the ship on time, when we were on Explorer, they pretty much kept to those times.

Have fun, Explorer is a fantastic cruise, be sure to catch the ice show!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 21st, 2001, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Brian,
When will you be on Explorer? I'm cruising on 01/05/02 and your right it does seem strange visiting San Juan as a port of call. My first cruise started off in San Juan. My father-in-law and I liked El Morro but my wife and mother-in-law didn't care much for it. Must be a guy thing...
Old December 23rd, 2001, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Hi Joe, we're leaving on Feb. 23rd. I just did the Voyager in Nov., during the week hurricane Michelle was active. If I was able to have fun that week, Feb. should be a blast!

I don't recall doing El Morro... it seems like all we did was walk around old San Juan. So, maybe that would be something to do. Or perhaps the rain forest tour, although I've not heard much about it. Really wanted to see the observatory since I'm a space and techno geek, but 2pm departure probably doesn't leave enough time.

Happy cruising! Let me know what you do in San Juan...

> When will you be on Explorer? I'm cruising on 01/05/02
> and your right it does seem strange visiting San Juan as a
> port of call. My first cruise started off in San Juan. My
> father-in-law and I liked El Morro but my wife and
> mother-in-law didn't care much for it. Must be a guy thing...
Old December 28th, 2001, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Brian,

I'm not familiar with arrival time of Explorer but one option might be a car rental to drive to Arecibo. A ten minute taxi ride from the pier takes you to Charlie Car Rental (www.charliecars.com) in Condado on Ashford Ave. For $35.00 to $45.00 you can rent a car with unlimited mileage and make the drive yourself. If you do rent a car make sure you pay the extra $5.00 for a $0.00 deductable on the insurance. Driving a car on the highways of Puerto Rico is like swimming in a school of fish - too close for comfort.

Re: Visiting Cruise Ships

They vary. Just came back the week before Christmas. Some nights there were 6 or 7 ships in port and the shops in Old San Juan stayed open till wee hours of the morning. Other days there were no ships and everyone closed up at 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon. Do enjoy the island as it is rich in history. The down side is that PR is a weather maker. Take an umbrella.

Gary