Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Passenger

Default Best snorkeling company in Belize?

I am not sure if asking questions about Belize belongs in the Caribbean section, but it is the closest that I can find.

My wife and I will be on a cruise (Carnival Pride) in June 2002 which stops in Belize City. The Pride will be in port from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm.

We would like to go snorkeling. I have visited some websites and I am interested in snorkeling on the Barrier Reef. I found a company (Start Tours) which offers a Barrier Reef Snorkeling Tour that costs US$17.50 / person for 3 hours (10:30 - 1:30). The website indicates that this tour includes snorkeling at "the Shark Parks", and snorkeling at the "Local Coral Garden" and "another colorful and Marine Life rich area." So, it appears that this tour involves snorkeling at 3 different locations.
This tour allows you to feed a shark and swim with an "eagle ray" both of which seem like things that I thought were only possible for SCUBA trips.

$17.50 per person sounds pretty good price to me considering that they take you by boat out to the reef and even provide you with snorkeling gear (although we have our own). The website is http://www.startoursbelize.com/tour.html

Has anyone had any experience with this company? Are there any other comparable snorkeling trips.

I have also seen snorkeling with the company "Under da Sea Diving" with Alonzo Flota for $12.50/person for a 1/2 day of snorkeling. This tour includes two snorkel stops at the local reef in front of Caye Caulker. One stop is at a locally cultivated "Shark and Ray Village" which is a smaller version of the much larger "Shark and Ray Alley," and is located only a five minute boat ride from the island.

Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Miklas

dmiklas@prodigy.net
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ANITA
Default Re: Best snorkeling company in Belize?

Hi! My family (my husband and myself 41 y.o. and 42 y.o. and our kids 16 y.o.daughter and twin boys 15 y.o.) will be travelling on the Pride on Feb 16th. We are very excited as this is our first cruise. We were thinking of taking the Cave Tubing and Rainforest Exploration that the ship offers. We would like to snorkel, but none of us have ever done this and we were thinking about doing this in Key West. With your snorkeling experience, what do you think? I'll let you know how the Pride is.
Old January 20th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Cindy C

I live in Florida and my sister lives in the Keys. I would not recommend snorkeling in Key West. You will see more fish etc.. on the other ports. My sister has a turtle museum which is free on the docks. It is small and would take 15mins to view the turtle history, she usually has a live turtle that is turned loose when it is healthy enough. If you ask she will take it out and you can touch it. You can take a bike ride around the city and visit where Hemingway lived. If you like fishing, there are day fishing boats. We went on a boat during lobster fest and everyone who didn't take sea sickness med. got sick. The sea was rough and you feel it more on a small boat. We got lobster thanks to an expert diver and had lobster pasta back at the house. Key West is a party atmosphere. There are many bars. A famous bar that Hemingway visited is Sloppy Joe's. There isn't much for children or teenagers to do that I have found. I have children from 16 to 9. We are fortunate to know someone there to take us boating and to the family restuarants. I am interested in Belize and Cozulmel and Mexico too. We will be on the Pride July 20th.
Old January 26th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Anita! I grew up in Florida, and have snorkeled there,
Bahamas & the Caribbean. I agree with Cindy C., don't spend your time in Key West snorkeling - wait for Cozumel or other port. Most snorkeling trips I have been on require that even experienced swimmers where the provided flotation device. This allows you to relax and swim leisurely. DO buy disposable Underwater Cameras before you leave home. We got each of our teens one the last time we snorkeled together. GREAT photos! We will be on the Pride on 5/25 with our 17yr. old son & his 17yr. old friend (guy), (and various other extended family members). Please let me know what your kids think of the Pride & it's itinerary. I'm sure there will be more teens aboard in May once school is out - the guys are hoping that the "Fun Ship" proves to be true and that there are lots of girls their age on board!
Donna
Old January 29th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

Hi Dave,

I am leaving on the Pride on Sat. 2/2/02 and I was thrilled to find this post! The company who's link you left looks very interesting.

If I snorkel with them I will let you know how it goes when I get back.

Thanks,
Michelle