Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Default Stingray City (Cayman Islands)

Has anyone ever had any real emergencies at Stingray City? My husband and I went about 5 years ago. It was very exciting at the time. However, I don't remember how long the boat trip out to the sandbar actually was. I do remember thinking that if anyone got seriously injured they would be in big trouble. It did not appear that anyone was very well equipped to handle an emergency. I suppoose it didn't help that we saw a television program on stingray attacks the week after we got back. Thank you for any inoformation on Stingray City.
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stingray City (Cayman Islands)

Just came back from Captain Marvins's Excursion. Payed $30 each and worth every penny. You can book online .. just do a search.

- 20 minute boat ride on a very nice boat. There' was 10 of us on the boat and enjoyed the fact that we had lots of space. I noticed that some of the other boats with people on the ships were packed like sardins.

- Did a little swimming with the Sting-Rays for 20 minutes or so. And no mishaps. From what I was told and what I saw. These creatures are very gentle.

- Also enjoed 20 minutes of snorkeling with beatiful tropical fish !

Enjoy ..Joan wrote:
>
> Has anyone ever had any real emergencies at Stingray City?
> My husband and I went about 5 years ago. It was very
> exciting at the time. However, I don't remember how long the
> boat trip out to the sandbar actually was. I do remember
> thinking that if anyone got seriously injured they would be
> in big trouble. It did not appear that anyone was very well
> equipped to handle an emergency. I suppoose it didn't help
> that we saw a television program on stingray attacks the week
> after we got back. Thank you for any inoformation on
> Stingray City.
Old January 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Yeoman

Well, stingrays don't have teeth so they can't bite at all. They just suck and can give you a hickey.

If you step on them you can get stung with their barb. I think this only hurts like heck, that there is not a whole lot that can be done for you when you get stung except to keep the wound clean to prevent infection. All the boats have first aid kits on them and that is about all you need for "sting ray injuries." The stingrays there are very used to people, so they don't sting as much as ones other places do.
Old January 10th, 2002, 06:48 AM
First Mate

I went to String Ray City Last May and It was great! I've never done anything like that before so I was a little hesitant.Once I was in the water with them I had a great time. We were instructed not to step on them, and not to try to lift them up. They feel threatened if their eyes are raised above water. Go and have the time of your lives.
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Hi, Joan ...

Things like heart attacks or falling down and breaking an arm or leg are much bigger problems that what could happen with the rays.

But that can happen anywhere.

Marvin's boats can really ramp up the speed if needs be. The chances that someone aboard will be at least OK in first aid are good.

There is a first aid kit on board that's well-stocked.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Very good instructions are given on how to handle yourself in the water and while interacting with the stingrays. I asked the guide if anyone has ever been stung and he said he has never heard of it happening and he has been doing tours for a long time. He also said that if people looked overly frightened or look like they may run away(and step on one) he makes them wait on the boat and watch from there.
Old January 16th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Sue Sue

This brings me to a point to make a sales pitch of sorts. Of course, minor injury can occur, and most likely would be able to be taken care of on the boat, or at least upon returning to shore. (As far as the sting rays go, if you want to interact alot you can, either by using food or make your way into the big group of them. If not, stand back and let them pass. The animals merely will brush by.) Emergencies are another story. But as previously posted, these things can happen anywhere. Driving in remote areas, hiking, etc. So here's the pitch. This is one reason to have some exposure to emergency medical care. Be it EMS, First Aid and/or CPR. All family members, school age and up, should have some level of medical aide knowledge. This is especially true for travelers who very often put themselves into situations where medical care is either unavailable at the moment or nonexistant is some cases.
Old January 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Passenger

this is my experience..

last october we were in grand cayman ...we took the boat from the calypso grill and it was a 20 minute boat ride...

I was filled with excitment at the thoughts of boating in the caribbean and swiming with these beautiful creatures ...

about 15 minutes into the boat ride I began throwing up and feeling soooooooooo bad...

upon arriving at the sand bar with the rays I was determined not to let my sea sickness stop me from interacting with the beautiful rays ..so along with all the little children, older women and the rest of the gang I jumped into the water and swam toward my soon to be new friends.. as I put my feet down to stand something brush my leg..a ray ...I totally and surprisingly freaked out and began to scream and shake as if I was being murdered ....I was frozen in fear ..the captain came to my rescue and directed me toward the boat where I began to swin with such speed , ( not knowing I was being followed by rays ) ...I then proceeded to watch the others enjoy what looked like a beautiful experience ..

this was such a surprise to me and I am not sure where my fear came from but I am sure that it is totally unfounded and I would recommend that anyone take this excursion ..

Jolie