Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default San Juan/St Thomas/St Maarten

We will be on a cruise in March with these stops. We'll probably walk and sightsee in San Juan then find a place for drinks and watching the sunset. Any other sightseeing not in walking distance? And where can we go to drink and watch the sunset? In St. Thomas I'm thinking Coral World and Coki Beach for sunning/snorkeling. Should we beach in the morning or the afternoon and Coral World in the morning? I thought the beach in the morning because it would be less crowded and we're not ALL day beach people. I was debating Sapphire Beach, but decided against due to losing time to getting there. In St Maarten we'll go to Orient Beach in the morning, sun/snorkel. Maybe go to Everyting Cool for a late lunch/drink, window shopping. How busy does Everyting Cool get around 12 or 1 in the afternoon? Anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations? Oh by the way I will not go to St Johns this trip. We've never been to St Thomas so we will do St John on a future trip. Thanks, Janice
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:30 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: San Juan/St Thomas/St Maarten

See answer to Skip's question above. Are you sure your ship will be docked at sunset? Usually you are already under way by then. You can actually to to St. John in the a.m. & still have time to either shop for a couple hrs. or sightsee on St. Thomas. I've done it at least 3 times. There is a tram to Paradise Peak not far from the dock in St. Thomas. You can go up to see a great view & get a drink up there. (Hurricane, I think?) Have a great trip!
Old February 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the help. We are docking at San Juan at 4:30 pm so we will be there for a sunset. St Thomas is 8 am to 6 pm. But, I am not going to St Johns-I'd rather spend the time on St Thomas this trip. I do want to take the tram to Paradise Peak and get a Bushwacker. I had several Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens in New Orleans last Sept!! Thanks again!
Old February 11th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Admiral

In Old San Juan is the Butterfly Cafe on Calle Forteleza. Close by is the first cafe to make the Pina Colada. You won't see sunset from either one. Stroll back towards the pier and see if there is a roof top lounge in the Wyndham Old San Juan.
St. Thomas, take the Coral World stop and you will be right at the beach which I believe is Coki. Sounds like a good plan to do beach first then tour aquarium, as the crowds (tours) will be gone. Return to town or Havensight for shopping or the trip up Paradise Point. If you go to Orient Bay, you probably won't want anymore sun in the afternoon. You can have lunch right on the beach then return to town for shopping. Everything Cool if purchased on board the ship includes lunch, so that is when it will be most crowded. You can stop there or other beach/bay side places for a cool drink and not purchase the day pass.
Bpn Voyage
Old February 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the information
Old February 19th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Hockeymom

Default Re: Thanks everyone!

We did this route two weeks in a row last August due to storms in the West! If you are interested in reading our shore excursion write-up with pics, feel free to e-mail me at ViolaSwmp@aol.com

By the way - we finally did the western caribbean the week of 02.02.02
Old February 24th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Passenger

We are Cruising on the Golden Princess on 4/6 but I spent almost 2 mounts all together in St. Maarten last year and am baffled what to do with my Family for the 1 day I am there but I have narrowed it down to 2 things which I suggest to you people.. #1 is a trip to Pinel Island. I don't suggest the excursion off the ship you can get a cab to take you to the dock (Guessing $10) and then the water Taxi is $5.00 round trip per person. It is the most beautiful beach I have been on. The other thing I suggest is Maho. There is a beach in Maho which is at the end of the airport runway and it is amazing to watch the planes come in and go out... there is also shopping there to and it is not even close to as crowded as Marigot or Phillipsburg will be. Prices are about the same and there is a restaurant called Cheri's which you can't help but enjoy. Hope this helps for anyone looking to do something a little different. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I never went to/ heard of anything Cool until we started to plan our Crusie so i can't coment on that and Don't get me wrong Orient is nice but crowded and TOURISTY