Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Passenger

Default SAN JUAN PHOSPHORESCENT BAY

hAS ANYONE GONE THERE? DID YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN OR W/ SHORE TOUR?
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2002, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: SAN JUAN PHOSPHORESCENT BAY

This is the most beautiful thing you'll ever experience. When we went, we weren't on a cruise. If your cruise ports at San Juan, would suggest taking the shore excursion, as Phosphorescent Bay is on the southwest part of the island. San Juan is north-central. They probably have a bus or something to take you there. Full moon is best, but partial moon is OK. You go out on a glass-bottom boat at nite when it's very dark -- we went about 10:30pm. When you get out in the bay, the deck hands scoop large buckets of water from over the edge of the boat onto the deck and you're encouraged to scoop the water onto your hands, arms, etc. The microscopic sea creatures in the water glow in the moonlight and look like glitter all over!! It's absolutely beautiful!! If you have time and you're 'down south' anyway, try to spend some time in the rainforest. Especially if it is HOT outside, the rainforest is cool and there are many places to hop in the water waist high and cool off. A very nice trip and well worth seeing.

Have a great time in Puerto Rico -- it has some lovely spots to see.
Nancy.
Old February 13th, 2002, 12:38 PM
browezilla

I've gone. It was ok, but not spectacular. I've heard it is better at Vieques. From what I've read, it is best to go during a new moon (not full moon), otherwise the moon light overpowers the dim like by the plankton.

I rented a car to get there. It's a pretty easy trip.
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM
JENNIE

I went to the PHOSPHORESCENT BAY in Vieques while on a shore excursion. I was on the Winjammer in 1999 I think. I think it is very hyped up. They took you from the port on a an old big yellow school bus. It had no shocks and lets just say the roads there are not that good. There was no AC and it was VERY dark and bumpy. I do not know what the cost was for the excursion but it did sell out. It is this lady who is some sort of scientist and has a crew of about 8 almost college age kids to assist her. You could go swimming in the water but we chose not to. I dont think I would do it again. I hope this helps. If you need more info let me know.
Old February 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM
JENNIE

I went to the PHOSPHORESCENT BAY in Vieques while on a shore excursion. I was on the Winjammer in 1999 I think. I think it is very hyped up. They took you from the port on a an old big yellow school bus. It had no shocks and lets just say the roads there are not that good. There was no AC and it was VERY dark and bumpy. I do not know what the cost was for the excursion but it did sell out. It is this lady who is some sort of scientist and has a crew of about 8 almost college age kids to assist her. You could go swimming in the water but we chose not to. I dont think I would do it again. I hope this helps. If you need more info let me know.

JENNIE
Old February 19th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Admiral

The best place is La Parguera.

Vieques doesn't hold a candle (pun intended) to it.

pamda -- recovering Puerto Rican
Old February 19th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Pamda Where is La Parguera? Do you know of any operators that offer tours? The shore tour offered by the ship goes to La Cabezas Natl Reserve
Old March 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to rocster

La Parguera is on the south west coast, facing south, around the corner from El Boqueron. Awesome!