Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2002, 12:53 AM
First Mate

Default cozumel or playa del carmen?

we are on a Carnival cruise in april and I dont know if I should get off the ship in Playa del Carmen or do something in Cozumel? Has anyone done a jeep tour in Playa? Thats what our 4 boys ages 14,14,11, and 8 want to do. I think we'll snorkle in Grand Camen. So, If I dont do the jeep tour in Playa What would be fun in Cozumel besides the beach and snorkling?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: cozumel or playa del carmen?

Hi Mary, You may want to check your itinerary again as I believe that I read that Carnival has discontinued the stop at Playa and goes straight to Coz. You can take the ferry back if you want, but there is lots to do in Coz. Just check out some of the posts on this board....Barb
Old February 14th, 2002, 11:09 AM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

Hi, I am on a carnival cruise in April also. The inspiration! Well We went on the Celebration in 2000 and we went to Playa Del Carmen. Went to Tulum. It was nice but very Hot and Boring. I think the kids will be very bored and it is a expensive excursion also. But also the tender back to Cozumel was so very bad. It was so rough and I have heard it is that way all the time. We were all sick and never do get sick on the ship. So you might want to think about that one. We shop in Cozumel. But there are great things to do there too. Just keep checking around the posts. Hope this helps out... char
Old February 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Aaron

I believe that the stop in Playa is ONLY for ship excursions and they will not let you tender ashore.
Old February 14th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Bob Boucek

Mary=Your stop is to let passengers off who are going on tour only. You will dock at one of the three piers in Cozumel. You can rent a jeep for $35.00 and do your own tour of the island. You can';t get lost, there is only one road. One spot I liked was Chankanaab Park, about 6 miles from town.There is a lot to see there, go on search and type in funpaymu@cozumel.com you will get some idea of what is there. Don't trust the Ferry, some times they run late and you could miss the ship. If you have any specific questions, Email me at hrboucek@aol.com Theremis a new mall in town also

Bob
Old February 19th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Hi, Mary ...

A great day for your family would be Xcaret, just a little bit outside Playa del Carmen.

You might want to check into the achived features article for one called "The Pleasures of Playa."

Very soon there will be a feature coming up on the Home Page about Cozumel.

It is NOT true that you cannot get off at Playa unless you are on a ship's shore excursion. My experience, maybe not everyone else's. You just have to ask.

We go to Playa/Coz at least once a year and have done so for 15 years so I hope I know what I am talking about. I always stand ready to be corrected.

Chankanaab is worth a large pass ... all it is? A lot of cruise ship people tripping over each other. Big waste of a day.

Char is correct. The ride (45 minutes) from Playa to Coz (or the other way) can be rough for people with tender tummies. I've never seen anyone hurl after a gazillion back-and-forths but I have seen some folks looking pretty green.

I think it's just a shame that ships don't spend 2-3 days at Playa/Coz.

pamda -- CM FIrst-Time Cruisers Editor