Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Yeoman

Default mayan ruins & dunn's falls

We're looking at the Tulum Mayan Ruins and Beaches excursion in Cozumel on RCCL Voyager. Has anyone done this, and if so, what did you think? It's 8 hours which is the entire port time. Could you take a taxi and look at them on your own?

Also, we're looking at Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. Can you go there on your own also?

Additionally, I have some trouble walking and use a cane. Do either of these entail lots of walking? I probably can't walk up the falls. If I stand at the bottom, how do I meet up with my friend who walks up them?

ANY info is appreciated. Thanks.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Robocop

Default Re: mayan ruins & dunn's falls

Michelle,
Tulum is a very beautiful site and the only ruins that are right on the ocean. If you are into history at all then the ruins are something wonderful to see. Tulum is still a small site however so there isn;t all that much walking. There is a tran that you can take from the entrance of the park to the ruins proper so that cuts the 1/2 mile walk there out and you should have not problems at the site itself and they are much easier than other ruins for those that have a problem with walking. I would NOT try and take a taxi or do it on your own, it MAY save some but certainly not much and I doubt if it would save any time, probably take more.
If you need a cane then Dunns Falls is not something you want to climb. In this case you may be better off going on your own and your friend can enter the falls climb at the bottom and you can wait for her at the top in a taxi that you can hire from the pier. You of course can still take the ships excusrions and take a party boat to the falls and wait there at the bottom of the falls while your friend climbs the falls and then returns to the base for reboarding the boat.
Jim
Old February 18th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Aaron

Both of these excursion require a great deal of walking. Tulum is a wide open field that was a Mayan city, and you walk from one site to another to see the ruins. The beach poretion is probably fine. No, you do not want to take a cab on your own! In Ocho, you could do the Falls yourself, but you would probably save a little time and that's about it. You could sit on the beach yourself while your companions climb the falls, and they could walk back down to find you after. There would still be walking involved to get down to the beach level from the entry area. Exiting the falls, you MUST go through the native market, there is no avoiding it! The paths are all paved, and have handrails on the steeper areas. If you take a cab, negotiate the round-trip in advance, and remember that it doesn't include the entry to the Falls which is about $8 per person.
Have fun!
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Hockeymom

I just returned from the western caribbean a week ago. I discovered that climbing the stairs of Dunn's Falls is much harder and more strenuous than climbing the actual falls! I could kick myself now for not climbing the falls the entire way. I agree however, that someone who relies on a cane may have a hard time indeed. Maybe you could climb down the stairs part way. There are several places to take pictures and even a couple of places that are easy to get into or out of the water. Have fun and don't let anything hold you back!
Old March 1st, 2002, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

Have been to both on Princess. Both would be difficult for you as there is a lot of walking and inclides at Dunn's River Falls; even if you decide not to climb the falls. There are pathways and wooden stairs but the falls, but it would really depend on your mobility. You may be parked some distance and the parking lot, when we were there, was chaos.

As for Tulum. It was nice to see, but we were only there for about 45 minutes to an hour. We tendered ashore at Playa del Carmen, were picked up by an airconditioned motor coach, drove toward Tulum, stopping at a wayside convenience stop (actually an open air market). That was our first experience with Mexican public toilets - yuck!

We loaded up and continued about another 45 minutes to Tulum. The site is not huge, it is also surrounded by another market.
The pathways are fairly level but the arches through the rock walls are very low. We found it interesting, as I said, but they rushed us away to take us back to Xelha(?sp). It was a site for snorkelling and more markets and stores. We spend almost half of the day here and we felt like we missed the best part at Tulum. At any rate, when Princess found out about all the 'market place' stops we received a refund of a portion of our tour.

If you need your canes only occasionnally I would say try them, but if you must have them, then climbing the falls would be quite dangerous for you. Tulum make be fine but there is some walking on not to even ground in all places.

Enjoy your trip.