Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Passenger

Default Key West, any ideas?

Anything to do there that doesn't involve bars/clubs and lots of drinking? Family with teenage daughters going in June, never been there, curious about whether to go ashore or stay onboard and enjoy the ship sans crowds.

Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Cruzn
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jc
Default Re: Key West, any ideas?

There is a fast catamaran boat ride out to Fort Jefferson National Park in the Dry Tortugas. You can snorkle and visit the fort. This is an all day excursion. So I would check with them regarding when they leave in the morning and return in the evening. Just do a Yahoo search for Dry Tortugas fast catamaran. I can't remember the name of the company, but you should be able to find it on the web I did a few years ago.

jc
Old February 19th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Hi ...

there is plenty to do that doesn't require getting totalled a la Hemingway, but a visit to his home is a sweetness. The 70 or so cats are always happy to welcome you.

(Look in the photo gallery under "Hemingcats")

A stroll down Duval street for the family shoppers can be fun.

The waterfront area (Stop #2 on the Conch Trolley) is worth a while. There is even a fellow who might throw a key lime pie at you.

There are plenty of good reports about beach and lunch at the Flagler Hotel (take the Conch Trolley) as the Southermost point of the US.

The most famous saloon is Sloppy Joe's (ahh, the conch fritters and the coconut shrimp !!!) but it's not a slimey place. Perfectly appropriate for teens. A LOT loud for adults.

If we can help more, just ask.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Hockeymom

My two teens and I took the Conch Trolley, getting on and off now and then. We also visited Hemingway;s house, the Truman white house, the shipwreck museum (be sure to climb to the top of the tower), and Duval Street. We tried conch fritters and key lime pie. We were scheduled for the Fury Catamaran snorkling but it was cancelled due to high winds and crummy weather!
Old February 20th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Personally, I like the clothing optional pool at the Atlantic Shores Hotel but I don't imagine that would be a good family outing. Jet ski rental guided tours are fun as are moped rentals to see the island. There is a decent public beach which is inside Fort Zachary Taylor. The Hemingway House is nice & just across the street is the lighthouse which you can go to the top of. Duvall Street is fun for all of the "characters" that you will see. There are some excellent restaraunts there but they seem to change quickly. My favorite is Blue Heaven. Try Mango's on Duvall for a nice outdoor lunch if it isn't too hot. I was there in June once & was convinced it was the hottest place on earth but then I don't like humidity. Have fun.
Old February 20th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Kellyann

Do yourself a favor and take the trolley tour. Our driver was the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic gentlemen we ever encountered on a tour. There wasn't any one thing about Key West that stands out but the tour was very interesting. We went to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville and this would be very appropriate for your children. They played his music and it seemed that everyone in there was singing. Just walking around the streets we found interesting people and sights.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:13 AM
First Mate

I don't like informational tours, so I'm going to suggest taking a snorkelling tour or going to the beach. I think there is one you can walk to from the dock. Take the ships towels and enjoy yourself!
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:35 AM
cruz-b4

If you can walk without any difficulty you can do everything that way.No need for tours or trollys.Also the Lighthouse is a must and if you climb it you will be rewarded with some beautiful pictures.Check out B.O.s fish wagon for the bestfish sandwich and the decor,Sunset Pier bar & grill behind the Ocean key house Resort,Blue Heaven,and for shopping The Pelican Poop shop,Blue Dolphin Gallery,Country Conch,and Coastal Creations.There is enough to keep you busy all day.