Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need Advice on the following shore excursions

We are going on our first crusie in June on the Adventure of Seas (RCC) to the southern caribbean. I have been looking at the shore excursions and want to book the following:
Castries, St. Lucia- Catamaran Cruise To Morne Coubaril Estate
Bridgetown, Barbados- Harrison's Cave, Island Drive And The Flower Forest

Does anyone have any experiences with these excursions or recommend something else?

Also, we are going to Charlotte Amilie, St Thomas and St Johns, Antigua. I am having a hard time picking an excursion. Does anyone have any recomendations from past experiences?

Thanks!
Beth
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Need Advice on the following shore excursions

If you like to snorkel, don't miss St Johns. You can shop at Haversight Mall in St Thomas which is at the port. Almost the same prices without the hassle of going downtown.
Old March 9th, 2002, 09:48 AM
ian

In Barbados take a cab at the dock and go where you want. Do Harrison's Cave early before they get busy. Organized tours from the ship tend to stay at locations for a set time period even if you want to move on. Find others on the ship who want to share a cab and make your own tour. You set the locations and pace as well it is much cheaper. The Jolly Roger is also a great time.

St. Lucia - the jungle jeep excursion is a blast but rough. You stand on the back of an open jeep/pickup truck type vehicle and you race on roads and through the jungle. Pay attention and when someone screams "duck" they are not reffering to the wildlife.

Antigua - there is a Jolly Roger tour here as well if you missed it in Barbados. If you like history go to Nelson's Dockyard.

St. Thomas - there is so much to do the list is endless. It depends on your interests. Deborah is right when she said the shopping at the mall beside the dock is every bit as good as downtown, without the crowds.
Old March 10th, 2002, 11:51 AM
browezilla

St Lucia. I don't know if that excursion goes to the pitons. If not, find one that does! They're beautiful up close. The excursion we took sailed from the ship to dock at the base of the pitons. Fabulous.
On Barbados: Harrison cave is nice if you haven't seen many caves. If you have, pass on it. Nothing really new here. The wait can be lengthy also if you get there the same time as other ship passengers. I would get on the net and find a tour operator that would give you a tour of the island. We went 4 years ago and got a full island tour (including harrison cave, welchmans gully, both coasts, mahagony forest, flower forest, etc.) for $150 total! This was for 6 of us, for 6 hours, so it averaged out to about $30/person. A real deal. Another nice thing about a private tour is you can get to the sites earlier than the other ship passengers and avoid the crowd.
Old March 13th, 2002, 07:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Need Advice on the following shore excursions

We did the island tour on St. Thomas & it was OK, but nothing fabulous. It was our first cruise, and we thought we needed to see rather than do. Our upcoming cruise the excursions are action, and we'll catch glimpses of the scenery along the way! Shopping in St. Thomas is mainly for gold & jewels, cameras, watches.
Old March 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Need Advice on the following shore excursions

What tour company did you use for the tour in Barbados?

Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Candace

I'd do the Land and Sea on St. Lucia it's all day and you get to do a wide variety of activities. We really enjoyed it. On St. Johns, Antigua we took a taxi to Dickinson Bay which is where to big resorts like Sandals are and had a beach day. They have cabana's for drinks ect there too. At St. Thomas unless you really want to shop I'd take a ferry right over to St. John you can beat the crowds and enjoy snorkeling there. We had our own stuff I' don't know if they rent gear there or not.
Old April 7th, 2002, 11:47 PM
First Mate

I love the catamaran trip to St. Lucia. I think the best is to take one way by land and the other by sea. Barbados has a great jeep tour with a sail or kayak. That's nice together. St. Thomas - I would head over to St. John. It's delightful - lots to do, charming, and good shopping. Antigua has a beautiful beach, also a terrific eco tour by kayak and there is also an easy biking tour. If you look at www.shoretrips.com, you will find them all.