Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Desparate for Car rental St Thomas

Can anyone help! I'm not able to get a rental for the day we are in port. I guess it's Carnival (April 16th). I have tried Avis, Hetz, Budget, Dependable and discount. I know there are other agencies but I don't have any #'s. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Desparate for Car rental St Thomas

You do NOT want to rent a car in St Thomas. Use public transportation or taxis. The island is built on a 45 degree angle. Besides driving on the wrong side, you will be going uphill in low gear or smoking the brakes going downhill. Blind corners and possessed local drivers round out the adventure. Traffic in Charlotte Amalee ( have never gotten the spelling right ) crawls. You will walk down the street faster than the traffic. Taxi drivers will sell their souls to take you where you want to go. I was in charge of the Navy radar site for a number of years. Our vehicles had 6.0 differentials, brake jobs every other month and were always overheating. When I would show up for an inspection tour, the trick was to find a car that would last the day to take me around.

You do not want to rent a car in St Thomas. But if you do....be sure to let us know how it worked out.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old March 28th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Maureen,
I agree 100% with Don, would never want to drive there for all the reasons he stated. There are plenty of cabs right at the pier and plenty that would sure to be very happy to give you a tour of the island, you may want to think about doing something like that.

Enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 29th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Desparate for Car rental St Thomas

Don,
Thanks for your imput. I guess I will really consider trying to even find one. Especially since I believe all the rental cars are gone, I can only imagine how crowded the roads will be!
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:08 AM
marnie

The island is pretty small. There's not much more you could see in your own rental car that you wouldn't see in a cab. They drive like maniacs there and at least the cab drivers know where they are going. I am so glad we didn't drive there, it would have ruined the day.
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Yeoman

I have stayed on the island and rented a car and it is an experience to drive around St. Thomas. Takes a while to get used to driving on the other side of the road, you really have to concentrate on the driving and what you are doing because it is the opposite of how you have drove for your whole life. It is the only place that I have ever used 1 and 2nd gear in the car because it is a mountain island. If you are only going to be there for one day I wouldn't suggest renting a car, you are not going to see the sights because you will be concentrating so hard on the driving. If you were going to be there for longer then I would say yes, but not for just a day stop. The taxi fares are very reasonable they are set and regulated by the gov't. You can check out the taxi fares on www.vinow.com there might be more ideas there for you too.
Old April 21st, 2002, 01:11 AM
mlbcruiser

We have rented cars & driven in many places that most people would recommend we not drive - such as the Amalfi Coast in Italy, St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassau, NYC, Boston, L.A., etc. Anyway, the first time we went to St. Thos. we rented a car & drove ourselves around to the various sights. Afterwards we realized we would have enjoyed the day more if we had hired a cab to give us a tour. Our tablemates did this & talked a lot about how much they did. It was our first 7 day cruise after several 3 & 4 day ones to the Bahamas, so we were a little "green" back then. Since then we have been to St. Thomas many times. For only one day, I agree w/the posters above. Do NOT rent a car. There are actually rental places that are not big companies that you may see when you get there. We noticed some on St. John just 3 wks. ago. We have even had taxis drive us to some resorts we just wanted to look over. You must bargain for a price but rental cars aren't cheap & you will just be aggravated trying to find your way around. Having said that, we have gone to St. John several times when on a cruise & are STILL wanting to rent a jeep & have the freedom to drive around to the various beaches. We tried to rent one for one day the week before Easter this year. I guess I started trying about a month in advance. They were all booked up, except for a 2 seater & we needed a larger one. They are also not cheap. So my advice to anyone going to the USVI, rent as far in advance as possible if you really think you want a car. At least during spring.