Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Bob & Karen Magee

Default St. Croix - scooter / jeep rentals?

We're on the Carnival Triumph the week of 4/13, and have a day stop on St. Croix on Wed 4/17. It's our first cruise, and we're just countin' down the days ... in the meantime, if anyone could help out with a few questions we'd really appreciate it:

1. We've been told that the scooter rentals are a great way to see the island for the day --anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

2. Is there any way to make reservations ahead of time? Does it matter? We've read that the rentals are right at the pier, but haven't been able to find any phone numbers or web sites.

3. Alternately, are there any jeep rentals that are available within walking distance of the pier?

4. We'er assuming the ship docks at Frederiksted -- is this correct?

Thanks all -
Bob & Karen
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: St. Croix - scooter / jeep rentals?

Hi Bob and Karen,
I just read your other post. We went on this same intineary two years ago. We basically stayed right in town and rented snorkling equipment. It was kind of boring. This year I have a jeep reseved for the day so we can do some exploring. The rental agency is one street up from the dock. I rented from Olympic 1-888-878-4227. I got a rate of $500 but I mentioned seeing them on www.visitstcrix.com and recieved 10% off. Budget quoted a rate of $70. Hope this helps.
We are a family of four traveling, a son 15 and daughter 12. How about you?

Maureen
Old April 8th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St. Croix - scooter / jeep rentals?

Opps I just re-read my post. I meant to write I got a rate of $50 not $500. If you have any other ?'s just email me. I've been there before and I've been researching a lot. My husband says I'm fanatical but we are usually prepared!

Maureen
Old April 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Marnie

A scooter is a great way to see the island. For 2 people to share a scooter, it cost us $75 for the whole day. If each person wants to ride individually it's $55 for each bike. Helmets, a chain and lock are also included. This was in January and the prices could change. We only spent $2 in gas refilling 3 bikes before we returned them.

The rental place was right by the pier. A girl named Tanya was handing out flyers. If nobody approaches you, you can find it really easy. Walk straight off the pier and go a little to the right. The bike rental place is behind "the Saloon" which is an upstairs bar with a large balcony. You can't miss it. They rent bicycles there too, you may notice the bicycles 1st, just ask about the scooters.

We got off the ship probably 2 hours after everyone else and they still had lots of scooters. I'm only sorry we didn't get off earlier so we could see more. I wouldn't try to do it in advance, because if the weather is bad, you may not want to do it.

I had the time of my life, and was very surprised at how safe it was and how courteous the locals were. The bikes were new so they were in great condition. They will give you a cell phone number for you to call if you run into trouble. The trick is finding a phone. Althought the people are so friendly, I don't think you'd have too much trouble.

If you want information on where we went, respond back.
Old April 8th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Marnie

And yes, Carnival docks in Fredericksted.
Old April 9th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Bob & Karen

Default Re: Re: St. Croix - scooter / jeep rentals?

Marie & Marnie -

Thanks for your assistance, your input is just what we were looking for!

We tried to e-mail both of you directly with follow-up questions / comments (you know how it is with first time cruisers, they can be such a pain in the butt ...) but you both came back as "unknown users." Maureen, we wanted to respond to the questions you asked (neat that we're both on the Triumph next week!) -- Marnie, wanted to ask you how much of St. Croix you can reasonably cover on the scooters over the day without rushing it.

If you'd like to respond here, or drop us a quick note at "bobandkarenny@yahoo.com", we'd appreciate the chance to follow up -- but in any event thanks for your kind help!

Bob & Karen Magee