Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2002, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default dolphins-Cozumel or Xcaret?

Can anyone give me their opinion on whether I should do the Dolphin swim at dolphin discovery in Cozumel or do the swim at Xcaret? Thanks fo any info.
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: dolphins-Cozumel or Xcaret?

Hi Julie..
Cant say that Ive ever done the dolphin thing but i did go to Xcaret and fell in love with the place. Its just awesome. What port is your ship stopping at..? Ours stops at Cozumel where we plan to take the ferry to Playa del Carmel so that i can take my children to Xcaret. This is actually why i chose this itinerary... Carnival does not offer an xcaret excursion from our ship and port so we will do it on our own... Do you know of any private excursions that would accomodate Xcaret from Cozumel..???

Thanks..
Paula..
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Passenger

when u say "xcaret" ,do u really mean "village of xcalek"?
Old April 16th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: dolphins-Cozumel or Xcaret?

No Mitch..
Xcaret is a beautiful Marine, Lagoon type waterpark about 6 miles from Playa Del Carmen... Its just awesome...

Paula..
Old April 16th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: dolphins-Cozumel or Xcaret?

Xcaret is great. Don't miss the underground river swim - bring your snorkel equipment for that. We diidn't have time to do the dolphins there - but our shipmated on Celebration last year did and like it.

Hope you have time for the show at the ampitheatre - it is made of rock and the show features native dancing and singing...lots of fun!

Also there is a little cove for swimming with big intertubes - and little straw-topped shelters to sit under in the shade. I highly recommend the drinks fresh fruit daquairis served in fresh pineapples - about $10 but really delicious and make you feel so tropical!!

Advice for Xcaret -they confiscate any commercial sunscreen (ecological reasons, they say.) You have to buy their brand inside for $11. Save the $$ for a drink!

SO put on your sunscreen before you go in and bury it deep inside a towel!

We are going to Cozumel again in May on Rhapsody, might just go back to Xcaret!
Old April 21st, 2002, 01:39 AM
curiouschameleon

Paula, This is the website for xcaret. They do have a tour that leaves from Cozumel, but it seems expensive to me. I think it would be cheaper to get there on your own. You can check it out under the reservation section of their website.

http://www.xcaretcancun.com/

Good luck!! (We are planning an excursion there in May!!) When do you go? If you go first be sure to report back!!

CuriousChameleon
(Angie)
Old April 21st, 2002, 02:02 AM
mlbcruiser

We will be in Cancun for a week in June & plan to go to Xcaret for the first time. There will be two rather "jaded" teenaged girls with us. We will probably have to pry them off the beach in Cancun to get them to go to Xcaret w/us. But I did check out their websight & am so excited! Hope we get there early before the afternoon rain so the snorkeling will be good. They offer an offshore snorkeling trip for $25 and many other activities. The dolphin encounter is quite pricey, but I guess it always is no matter where you do it.
If you have any questions, you can email Xcaret from their sight mentioned above. I got timely & complete answers to my questions. Thanks for the tip about the sunscreen! Any other advice, please do not hesitate to post it! That goes for "reviews" of Xcaret, too.
Old April 23rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jaded Teens.. Hahahahaah
I have 4 of my own that I am taking...! Im not worried about them at all... There will be plenty of places for them to strut there bikini's! Xcaret is incredible your kids will enjoy it . As far as an off shore snorkeling trip for 25.00 i wouldnt bother. Xcaret has the most gorgeous lagoon fantastic for exploring and snorkeling. As a matter of fact thats how i spent most of the day was snorkeling in the lagoon. I cant wait for my kids to see Xcaret!

Have a great time...
Paula...

P.S Be careful entering the lagoon...the rocks are slippery! and DONT forget to do the underground river!