Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Yeoman

Default shopping for jewelry in caribbean

Can anyone recommend a good jewelry store for gold (not gems) in St Thomas or St Maarten? I am looking for unique pieces from a reputable firm.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: shopping for jewelry in caribbean

I have had good luck with H. Stern. They have it all and have 2 stores, one in Havensight Mall at the Cruise Pier and one on Main St. Main St is the biggest. ther are few stores that specialize in just gold. However for a fun store to shop that has items in almost every price range try Cardow Jewelers on Main St. Its a veritable supermaket of jewelry. I think its best to shop St.Thomas as the Duty allowance is larger here.

Most of the stores located in St Thomas also have stores in St Maarten. The Exception is Amsterdan Sauer. they are located only in St. Thomas. All three are very reputable.

St. Maarten is better for electronics, cameras, vcrs, etc. Usually about 10% cheaper than St Thomas. You might also try Little Switzerland, located in both places, however their prices are pretty well the same on both Islands.

The ships staff generally hold a shopping seminar on the 1st day out. Try to atend. They will give you good info on reliable shops. They will also recommend specific places but I would take that with a grain of salt as I believe there are Kickbacks involved with their recommendations.

TIP: Have a good idea of what you are looking for costs in your home State or Country for comparison

Good Luck and have a great cruise!!!
Old April 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Advice above is excellent. Pretty much named most of the shops my wife finds to be
reputable. One more might be Columbian Emeralds.
Old April 21st, 2002, 12:43 PM
Yeoman

I have found Omni Jewelers and Cardow Jewelers in St. Thomas to be of high quality with nice, non-pushy sales people. Both are in downtown St. Thomas. Make sure to check out the treasure trove at Cardow. They have deeply discounted pieces they have decided to not carry in their store anymore. I got a wonderful deal there last time we were in St. Thomas. My necklace was about 1/4 of the price I was seeing in the states and of equal quality.

Check out www.vinow.com they might have website links to some of the stores in St. Thomas.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Passenger

We found Splash in St Maarten to have beautiful gold jewelry and good prices. The people that own the shop like to dicker on pricing.
Old April 28th, 2002, 08:07 PM
thelbert

Default Re: Re: shopping for jewelry in caribbean

Dennis could you please tell me if Splash is on Marigot or French side? thank jj