Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2002, 01:48 AM
curiouschameleon

Default Environmentally "safe" sunscreen?

I understand that at the ecological park of Xcaret in Playa del Carmen that they require you to have environmentally/ecologically "safe" sunscreen that won't harm the fish, coral, etc....(They want you to buy their safe, but expensive brand there.)

Well someone from on of the message boards e-mailed me and said that she thought she had read that there was one brand that was allowed (maybe May-Kay or something?)

Does anyone know??
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Environmentally "safe" sunscreen?

I didn't read the post about a name brand - but I will never be so stupid as to surrender my "$3 on sale" sunscreen to them again! I will apply mine before I enter park and then wrap it in a towel and push it deep into my bag! After ours was confiscated and I spent $13 on the SAFE brand there -- went to restroom and found many people pulling their lotion form hiding place in bag and applying it!

But whatever - spending the $13 did NOT ruin our day - don't miss swimming the underground river - it''s great! Be sure and bring your snorkeling equipment!
Have a blast at Xcaret! Wish I were going back again soon!
Old May 15th, 2002, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Environmentally "safe" sunscreen?

Security guards did look at our skin (oil from sunscreen and the scent is always obvious) and knew immediately that we were wearing oil/sunscreen and they WILL not let you in the water. I don't recall them allowing ANY sunscreen, as we were turned away even though we offered to wipe off what we'd applied.

This was at a nice beach in the same area, that we'd chosen from a Foder's Travel Guide. The sunscreen is killing the coral and some marine life so I do understand. It's selfish of tourists to not care, but at the same time most of us would fry in minutes without protection. I suppose wearing a tee shirt and not swimming long would be an alternative.