Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SEE RUINS IN COZUMEL OR COSTA MAYA?

My husband and I are going on a cruise to the Western Carribean in May. Any suggestions as to where we should go see the ruin. Should we go to Tulum in Cozumel or go to Kohunlich Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Diane
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Skip

Default Re: SEE RUINS IN COZUMEL OR COSTA MAYA?

Diane, I posted a reply similar to your message. (Maybe your husbands') The Kohunlich Mayan Ruins are not really in Costa Maya. And if these are the ruins Peter was referring to in his post, then you should give this excursion a try. But definately snorkel in Cozumel.
Old May 1st, 2002, 11:49 AM
nicolle

I've no idea about the ruins in Costa Maya, but the ruins at Tulum are wonderful. A lot to see and the view of the water from there is the most amazing I've ever seen. The beach there is gorgeous also. It does get hot though, so bring a bottle of water. If you can combine the Tulum tour with a trip to xel-ha, you'll get some awesome snorkeling done there. We do this trip everytime we are in Cancun/riviera maya.
Have a great time!
Nicolle
Old May 6th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Admiral

The ruins at Tulum are great. If you can combine tours on Playa del Carmen you will have the best of both things to do. It is very hot at the ruins so do wear light clothing, sun screen, a hat and bring your own water. We did a ship's tour which did not include Xhal, but gave us plenty of time to shop downtown Cozumel when the ferry returned us right to downtown.
Bon Voyage
Old May 21st, 2002, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you really want to see ruins, I would plan to see them when docked in Cozumel. Costa Maya is a shallow and unprotected port. It doesn't take much to keep the ships from docking there. We missed it on the 4/29 cruise. The a member of the Prusers staff told me it wasn't unusual for the port to be missed (missed two out of three sailings, including ours). Even though we missed the port, we still had a great time!