Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2002, 11:19 PM
TomS

Default St. Croix dropped by Carnival, is Jamaica next?

I saw under the Carnival postings that St. Croix is being dropped by all Carnival ships that dock there (to be replaced by St. Maarten). The reasons seem to be the excolating crime rate. Since I've never been to either island, I can't say if this is good or bad, but the concensus is that St. Maarten/St. Martin is better than St. Croix.

The next question, is Jamaica next on the "drop" list? The crime rate is outrageous, with marajuana being sold openly and aggressively. Also, there have been armed robberies of shore tour groups, even the ones organized by the ships. Now that Progresso/Merida and Belize are becoming more popular with ships, will Mo Bay and Ocho Rios be dropped in favor of Progresso and Belize City? I have heard that Jamaican authorities have begun to increase security along the northern coast to calm some fears, but is it too little too late?
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: St. Croix dropped by Carnival, is Jamaica next?

Haven't lost much by dropping St Croix.
Old April 29th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Good! I never felt safe while we were in Jamaica. If my local mall is not safe, I shop elsewhere. But, my local mall provides security and local police are around also. If
St. Croix and Jamaica do not address the crime problem then we can dock in a safer
island. Just like I can shop at a safer store.
Old April 30th, 2002, 04:45 AM
First Mate

St. Croix is no big loss. There isn't much there at all. Jamaica has a little more good to offer, but the crime there is indeed awful and the natives are extremely obnoxious about trying to get you to buy from them. They were worse than the straw market in Nassau and they were not confined to one area. They were not allowed past a certain point at the port. When we were going back to our ship they were really on us to get our money. They knew that once we got back on our ship, their chance was over. It took every thing we had not to make a break for it and run to the ship, they were so obnoxious. I did have one man hold a joint up to my face to see if I wanted to buy it. Dunn's river falls was beautiful, but I found the island intimidating because of the crime and the hustling.
Old April 30th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Nanette

Default Ochos Rios was GREAT....

We were just in Ochos Rios 10 days ago.

After hearing HORROR stories on the internet, I was expecting the worse.

It was WONDERFUL! Security everywhere. Smiling faces everywhere. Had a BLAST.

Perhaps the Jamaicaan government wised-up!
Old May 1st, 2002, 02:53 PM
cruzetime

We were in MoBay in jauary and had booked a private driver to the falls. 3/4 the way there her van broke down. We had three different cars stop to help us. They all failed. We were 5 people plus the tour guide. A Local Taxi stopped, a small Japanese type and he fit the 5 of us into the car, left the driver and took us to the falls. He did not take advantage of us, $20 to take us to the falls and he introduced us to a JUTA supervisor who arranged for a taxi from Ocho to take us back to MoBay, again without taking advantage of our situation. Security was never seen or needed! The people were as friendly as could be.
Old May 1st, 2002, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Tom, this is just not true! There was ONE armed robbery over a year ago on a tour bus up in the mountians. I have been to Jamaica over a half dozen times and have never been offered to purchase any drugs, something I can't say about a number of other islands and even Miami. My wife and I walk to town all the time and stroll all over and have always been treated with respect and kindness, just as we treat the locals. The only people that have ever been unfriendly and/or abusive were the Indians that are buying up many of the previously locally owned stores. They want you to buy or get out of their stores. My kids have also been there and only once was my oldest son offered MJ and he laughed and said no thanks and that was the end of it, period. Jamacians are if treated with respect and kindness, some of the warmest people that you will find anywhere in the world and they will do anything for you. They are by nature very loud and outgoing and many Americans take this for aggressive behaviour and recoil in terror. The Locals see that as an insult and a feeling of superiourity and will react the same way anyone else would, with distain towards you. The locals have very little other than their honor and respect and they do not like it being taken from them. You are in their country and need to follow thier customs and mores, if you do you will find them to be as great as we do.
Jim

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Craig

Default Re: Re: St. Croix dropped by Carnival, is Jamaica next?

Hey Jim,

Got to agree with you 100%. My family and I were just there and we found the people very friendly and outgoing. I'm sure if you go looking for trouble it can be found, but that's no different in any populated area.

Regards,

Craig ...
Old May 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Gaines

We were in Jamaica in 1999 and were offered drugs at every turn. It was a real pain. We took the snorkle/dunns river falls excursion and even had a small boat along beside us with 4 guys trying to sell us drugs out in the open water!! We did not feel outwardly unsafe, but did not like having drugs pushed on us so hard. We are going back again this June, but will only be scuba diving. If they meet us at 60 feet and try to sell us drugs I will be very surprised...
Old May 6th, 2002, 07:53 PM
TomS

OK, judging by the posts here, I think Jamaica got the hint. However, do note Anne Campbell's article on the subject elsewhere in cruisemates.
Old May 12th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Cruisin' Girl

I was in Jamaica in November 2001 (on a Carnival cruise) and I did not like it at all. Boy did I feel like a tourist. We only ventured as far as the shops near the dock and that was still scary. The Jamaicans would ask if we had any money or if we wanted drugs. Then on the way back to the ship, a Jamaican walked past us with a huge fish. Well, we were going to take a picture of it and he said "You take picture, if you give me money first". Well, we never did take that picture and off we went. I guess we all have different experiences.
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Passenger

I was in Jamaica in 1996 for my honeymoom and I can say there were times that I felt a little uncomfortable. When we were at our resort everything was great but the excursions were a total different story! We were offered pot and the locals were very obnoxious when they wanted us to buy something. They simple did not want to take no for an answer. Some of them could get quite rude. When we wanted to take pictures they demanded to be paid if they were going to be in the picture. When we were in the bus traveling back to our resort we passed thru a small village and one local actually gave us the middle finger as we passed by. When we were leaving Dunn's River Falls were were "attacked" by peddlers trying to sell us anything you can think of. They followed us all the way to the bus and would not back off when we said we weren't interested in buying anything. It was a little intimidating. One guy even wanted my husband's shoes. I would definitely not feel comfortable being on my own in Jamaica based on that experience.

Rhapsody
Old May 15th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Dee Kane

The last time we were in Jamaica was in '76. Were there three previous times and loved it but haven't returned because of what we heard from friends who had been there - the drugs, robberies, and even worse. You could probably feel safe staying in a resort but we like to venture out so why bother going if we can't.

When we were in Bermuda two years ago my husband and brother-in-law were approached by a guy selling drugs. Never thought that would happen in Bermuda. We've been to eastern and southern Caribbean and never had a problem. We were in St. Croix but stayed with tour group to Island on the Cay with no problem. We went to Harbour Night Festival and I did see three boys who seemed to be possible pickpockets, which we were warned about, and they saw me watching them and they finally left the area.

I just think you have to be careful wherever you go. When we are on vacation we let our guard down.