Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
Michele Franklin

Default Western Carribbean

My husband and I, along with our two kids (ages 8 and 12) will be cruising to the Western Carribbean next June aboard the Carnival Triumph. We were looking for some suggestions for activities in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. I am a shopper, he is a golfer , and the kids are beach fanatics. Would love some suggestions from folks who have cruised to the Western Carribbean.

Thanks,
Michele
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
Craig

Default Re: Western Carribbean

Hi Michele,

We just did the Western Caribbean and loved it.

Cozumel - Mostly did the shopping thing there. Prices seemed to be the best. I hear the snorkeling is also very good there. Carlos & Charley's if you want a one of a kind drinking experience.

Cayman - Sting Ray City was fantastic, don't miss it !!! Also 7 Mile beach for those fanatics. Most expensive place of the three.

Ocho Rios - Duns River Falls was a blast. Get there early to beat the crowds. On the way out from the falls be prepared for a intense Jamaican shopping experience. They have a long pathway filled with locals selling their stuff. Actually, it was kind of fun as long as you don't take their sales tactics too seriously.

Can't help with the golf, though my son and I would have loved to play we just didn't have enough time..

Have a great trip.

Craig ...
Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Sure Michele,
In Cozumel go to the lagoon and spend the morning there. Great beach, snorkeling, walks in the gardens with huge iguanas, etc. Then go downtown for the afternoon shopping and enjoying the Mayan culture. During the evening have the kids in Camp Carnival and you and the hubby take a short walk to Carlos & Charlies for some adult entertainment.
In Grand Cayman go to Stingray City, everyone! Well worth it.
In Ocho Rios there is great golfing while you and the kids go to Dunns River Falls or shop or take a tour to Rose Hall or something like that.
Have a wonderful cruise!
Jim

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Brooke

I am a travel agent and we travel all the time with our girls. My girls were 10 & 14 last year when we did the western caribbean with Carnival.

Cozumel - Hop in a taxi & go to Playa Sol Beach. The cruise line charges about $20pp for this excursion. You can all get there by taxi for a minimal fee and the fee to get on the beach is around $6 pp. They have kids activities on the beach, in the water they a huge inflated iceberg to climb and then slide down, also in the water they have a huge trampoline to jump on. The kids love this place... we are going back this year with Royal Caribbean in January.
Grand Cayman - Don't miss StringRay City
Ocho Rios - Don't miss Dunns River Falls
The Western Caribbean has better activities vs shopping. I prefer shopping in the Eastern or Southern Caribbean itineraries.

Have a great cruise!