Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Passenger

Default Cruise Excursion or on our own?

We are cruising Saturday on Celebrity's Century and wonder if we should do the ship's excursion to Xcarat, or take the Cozumel ferry on our own??? Does Celebrity use the regular ferry in Cozumel, or do they use their own transportation? We'd like to hit Xcarat as early as we can: the ship arrives in Cozumel at 10am and the local ferry leaves at 10am and Noon. We couldn't make the 10am ferry.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Bob Boucek

Default Re: Cruise Excursion or on our own?

Caroline= A lot depends on the length of time you will be in port. The local ferry takes 45 minutes each way. I don't actually know if the cruise line you are sailing with uses it's tenders or local ferry. The excursion to Xcaret is a fun thing. Happy cruising Bob Boucek
Old May 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Excursion or on our own?

Caroline,

If your ship's port of call is Cozumel and you want to visit an attraction on the mainland (Ex Caret, Tulum, etc.), I highly recommend taking a tour from the ship rather than going on your own. The connections are non-trivial because the attractions are a considerable distance from the ferry terminal at Playa del Carmen, and Mexican public transportation is not exactly the most reliable in the world. Here's the clincher.

>> If you go on your own and you miss the connection, the ship sails without you. Of course, you have to pay your own way to the next port to rejoin the ship.

>> If you go on a tour and the tour misses the connection, the ship either waits for it or makes other arrangements to get you aboard, at no cost to you either way.

Your choice....

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: Cruise Excursion or on our own?

I usually do my own arrangements for touring, however I would agree with Norm in this particular incidence. The ship may stop and just let off those on tour and then continue on to Cozumel. Those on tour will then meet the ship in Cozumel.
Take the tour.