Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2002, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Johns, Antigua - Suggestions on sites to visit - beach??

We are going on our first cruise on June 9th on the AOS. I have booked shore excursions for every port except for St Johns, Antigua. I think we are going to go out on a limb and try something on our own. Does anyone have any recommendations for Antigua? I would like to spend some time at a nice beach. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Wksskier

Default Re: St. Johns, Antigua - Suggestions on sites to visit - bea

My husband and I spent the day at Sandals in Antigua which is located right on Dickenson Bay which is a really beautiful beach. We purchased a day pass for $75.00 a person which was all-inclusive (all drinks, meals, snorkeling by boat, use of hobie cats, kayaks, pools etc). We had a fun day here.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:06 PM
Mary Martin

Default Re: Re: St. Johns, Antigua - Suggestions on sites to visit -

In St. John Trunk Bay is a must see!! Have fun.
Mary Martin
Old June 4th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Grab a cab to the beach near Ft. James (something-by-the-sea, I can't remember the name) It's pretty, and there are vendors and a resturant, and you can walk over to the rocks and the Fort south of the beach. At the top of the clif there is a little open air bar thats very quant.
Old June 4th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Frank M

Beth,

If you are interested in sightseeing then I would recommend going to the south part of the island to English Harbor. It is a historic harbor where the famous English sea Captain Horatio Nelson once commanded an outpost and ship repair facility there. The place is now named Nelson's Dock Yard in honor of his reputation and command when he was a junior officer.

Old, original buildings are still used and occpied. The harbor is now a magnet for private sailing yachts from around the world and many of the original building house supply facilities for these yachtsmen. There is a hotel and restaurant and other facilities there. I took a tour from the ships excursions, but the stop was much too short for my taste. The next time I will hire a taxi and take my time.

The roads are narrow so leave the driving to a local; especially since they drive on the left side of the road (the island is British). The high hills above the harbor are called Shirley Hights. The view from up there is terriffic. You will be at the extreme south end of the island of Antiqua. If you look east towards a outcrop of land you will see three houses spaced widely apart. That is where the rock star Eric Clapton lives.

The trip was well worth it. There arn't any beaches hear there but if you hire a taxi for the day you can take in English Harbor as well as a beach closer to the ship on your way back. I think English Harbor was about a 45 min. drive from the ship; maybe less.

Enjoy,

Frank M
Old June 9th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Wksskier

Default Re: Re: St. Johns, Antigua - Suggestions on sites to visit -

St John is an island off of St Thomas, it is not near Antigua. St John is part of the U.S. Virgin Islands : )