CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/249376-st-thomas-san-juan-tortola-help-needed.html)

jonj July 1st, 2002 12:20 PM

St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed

Hello all,
I am new here and I have to say that I like these boards.

We are sailing on the new Carnival Legend out of NY July 2003. Our ports of call are St. Thomas (on a sunday 7am-6pm), Tortola (on a monday 7am-2pm) and San Juan (Saturday 3pm- 12 midnight.

I have been to San Juan once before but the ship didn't dock until 6pm and all we did was walk around Old San Juan for a little while.

St Thomas I have also been to and we went on one of the snorkeling execursions from the ship.

Never been to Tortola. We will be 6 people varying in age from late 30's, mid 40's, 70, and 2 kids ages 6 and 8. The kids are well traveled as we always take them with us on all our vacations. Last year we took them to Italy.

What do you suggest that we do/ or see on each island giving the days of the week and the times there.

Thank you

Bill July 1st, 2002 01:21 PM

Re: St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed

We just booked the same cruise for late May next year. Here is what we plan.
San Juan is a late afternoon into evening port stop. We planned on touring Old San Juan and experiencing a little night life. (more research needed on the second part).
Just got back from St. Thomas and Tortola a few weeks ago (go to the Windjammer threads in the cruise section of this board and read about it). St Thomas of course has it's shopping, but, I would forgo that for a beach trip to Maegens Bay or Coki Beach (we will probably go to Coki) or a trip to any beach on St. John. Tortola is a great place, but hard to do a whole lot from 7 am to 2pm. If you stay on the Island, take a cab to Cane Garden Bay or one of the other beaches. We are going to take the ships' excursion to Virgin Gorda and go to the Baths.Beach, swimming, snorkeling and exploring through the rocks are fabulous here. A must do is a sandwich and the best Pina Colada on the face of the earth at Mad Dogs right where the cabs stop at the top of the path leading down to the Baths.
Happy Cruising

jonj July 1st, 2002 01:50 PM

Re: Re: St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed

Thank you

Dennis July 2nd, 2002 08:29 PM

Re: Re: St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed

The baths at Virgin Gorda is a great trip. This is our all time favorite excursion so far. The only thing there is a hike involved to reach the beach area.

Good Luck

Dennis

Bill July 3rd, 2002 07:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: St Thomas, San Juan and Tortola help needed

The walk down (and back) to the Baths is five minutes or less. Your reward when you get back to the top is a Pina Colada from Mad Dogs. The best in the world and even more refreshing after your walk up the hill.