Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Passenger

Default Renting a jeep in St. John or shore exursion from ship?

My husband and I would like to visit St. John while we are in St. Thomas to see the various beaches on the island. However, the ship is only docked there from 8 am - 6 pm and I believe we also have to go thru customs during that time also (Adv. of the seas). Will we have time to take the ferry to St. John and rent a jeep for an afternoon (any suggestions on where to rent one from?), or, should we just take one of the St. John excurisons from the ship? I have never been to St. Thomas either so I am also wanting to save some time to shop and go up to Pleasant Point. I realize that's a lot to do in an hour so I need some help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Renting a jeep in St. John or shore exursion from ship?

I think you ought to choose one island or the other. I have been to St Thomas many times. If you do a tour it will take you about 2 to 3 hours. If you like to shop it would take you another 3 or 4 hours just visiting all the store. St. Thomas is know for it's shopping.

I wouldn't run the risk of taking a jeep tour of St John on my own. If you miss the ship.

If I had to tour St John I would take the earliest tour the ship offered and then take the ferry back to St Thomas and get a cab or taxi to tour St Thomas. 2 to 3 hours would do it. Then spend some time in the shops. You ship will probably dock right near the stores.

Don
Old August 22nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Yeoman

St John is tiny, not sure the hassle of renting a jeep would be worth it. I used to maintain that anyone who drove themselves in either St Thomas or St John was insane but have given up. If you fit into the local traffic, you are definitely insane. A ship's tour to St. John guarantees you will get back before sailing or the company will take care of you if the ship must sortie early. Remember you will be on one island, your ship will be tied up at another.
Old August 22nd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Renting a jeep in St. John or shore exursion from sh

Hi Tara,
Best bet is to take off as early as possible and once you get off the ferry in St. Johns, just grab a cab to the beach, there will be plenty there waiting to take you back to the ferry. WE did that once and had plenty of shopping time when we got back, but only spent 2/3 hours at the beach before heading back. Here is a Ferry schedule, you can plan accordingly:

http://www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.html

Enjoy the beaches at St. Johns, its really worth the time and effort getting there, take plenty of pics, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 23rd, 2002, 12:54 AM
thedreamweaver

We took the ferry from the ship (SS Norway) to St. John's early in the morning. As soon as we stepped off the dock at St. John's and went thru the customs office (they pass Americans thru immediately) we walked maybe a half a block to the left where we found a cab stand that had lots of 20-passenger open-air jitneys. We hired one for just the three of us for 40 bucks an hour. The driver (Terry) took us on a spectacular 2 1/2 hour tour of the whole island, stopped wherever we wanted, showed us all the points of interest, told us all about the local lore, gave us very personal service, and we LOVED it! Best hundred clams we ever spent. The photos we got on St. John's were the best of the whole cruise.
We took the ferry back to St. Thomas with plenty of time for shopping, we then took a cab to Megan's Bay, Hilltop, etc.
I don't learn and see nearly as much by driving a rental vehicle around an island. I'm too busy trying to stay alive!
Old August 25th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Beginner

DidSt Johns on own.Plenty of time to get back to shop.Don't go into town to shop.Shop at shops at pier.Just about the same price...

Going on Summit Celebrity Oct. 18 .Will probably do St Johns again...

Have fun, Steve
Old September 12th, 2002, 11:14 AM
First Mate

It is very easy to do St. John on your own. The hard part will be making yourself leave!! It will be very difficult for you to really enjoy both islands in one day but you can certainly get a taste of both of them. My husband and I spent a week in St. Thomas 16 years ago and we still didn't get to see everything that we wanted to on both islands. Enjoy - whatever you decide to do will be wonderful and you will want to go back for more!!
Old September 26th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Lisa A.

We had plenty of time to tour St. John on our own. Just make sure you are first off the ship, grab a cab, and that you make the early (8:30AM) ferry. You don't need a jeep in St. Johns, the little buses just circle the island and if I remember correctly, they are inexpensive. We took the return ferry into downtown and had time to shop and pick up a few things. St. Thomas is nice enough but we think St. John is a must-see...