Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2002, 12:42 AM
thedreamweaver

Default your LEAST favorite island (again)

I learned a lot about how people feel about different Caribbeam islands when this subject was posted back on July 13, so I'd like to keep it going. I'm still amazed at the difference of opinions. What is YOUR least favorite cruise port, and why?
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: your LEAST favorite island (again)

Martinique, because the people are horrid, like the French here in Europe.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old September 2nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Cathyjane

Default Re: Re: your LEAST favorite island (again)

St. Thomas, entirely too many people in one place at one time and the shopping wasn't that great.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Admiral

"Port" Caracas, Venezula. Poor and Rich with little in between. Homes hung periously on the edge of mountains. Numerous Armed law enforcement details marching throughout the capital city. If you go, a ship's tour is a must.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: your LEAST favorite island (again)

I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like St. Thomas, very interesting.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 05:32 PM
Yeoman

I must have missed something in Cozumel. Didn't do anything for me. Maybe being on a deep draft ship that made figure 8s miles outside the line of ships at anchor, tiny tenders when the other ships had big comfortable ones, and a high sea state that brought ships that were supposed to be somewhere else had something to do with it. It was a dusty little Mexican town without the attractions that make most Mexican towns attractive.
Old September 4th, 2002, 12:03 PM
ikesmem

Mine would have to be Belize City, Belize. The city and it's people would pull on your heart strings. Roatan comes in a close second.
Old September 4th, 2002, 06:43 PM
First Mate

It's Jamaica. But, I see some people love it, so I'm gonna consider giving it another chance, just won't do Montego Bay next time.
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Admiral

A bad tender experience will help to make any port a miserable one. If all you did in Cozumel was walk up and down main street in town then you missed Cozumel.
Did you go to the ruins, the beaches, try snorkeling , touring the uninhabited far side of the island? Didn't it all look better after a few beers at Carlos and Charlies?
Old September 5th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Yeoman

All we did was walk up and down main street in town. A storm was brewing elsewhere and there were more than a dozen megaships there. Had been told the only ruins worth seeing were on the mainland. Only car available for rent was a VW beetle with top cut off by can opener. Large group of college kids, or group of large college kids, forget which, also wanted it. Carlos and Charlies did deaden the trip back to the ship. Forget the name of the gawdawful drink I was handed when I topped the stairs.
Old September 5th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Passenger

My least favorite island I've visited would be St. Thomas. But in comparison I'd just been to Virgin Gorda and St. John which we very much enjoyed. St. Thomas didn't do much for me (though the shopping is good). We didn't find beaches as nice as elsewhere nor the dining. Now, your fine dining choices are limited on our two favorite islands but they are very good choices. Of the other islands I've been to, St. Barts falls in just after VG and St. John, then St. Maarten, then Key West, then Cozumel (and I hated Carlos and Charlies - way too loud for me - but if I were 20 years younger maybe), then Grand Cayman (though perhaps clouded by the fact that the whole family went snorkeling with stingrays - except my mother-in-law and me - we just took a taxi tour of the island), and then St. Thomas - I'd had high expectations, too. We did stay in a nice B&B up on the hill above Charlotte Amalie - with a nice pool, rooms, open air breakfast - but it was destroyed in the next hurricane and I don't think rebuilt.
Old September 6th, 2002, 09:37 AM
First Mate

Cozumel..but that might have to do something with my acutal experience while there. I would consider going back and giving the port a second go, under different circumstances. Might change my perception.
Old September 19th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Marilynne

Definately Jamaica. The poverty was depressing. The pressure put on by the people selling, especially at the "gauntlet" at Dunnes River Falls was more than annoying.