Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Yeoman

Default After cruise...what to do..Kennedy Space Center?

Just wondering for those of you that went to Kennedy Space Center after your
cruise, how much time did you feel you needed to make it worth the cost. Our flight doesn't leave til later and thought it would be nice to go over there. I've heard you need all day. I don't want to feel rushed either.
Any other suggestions?

thanks,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2002, 12:18 AM
thedreamweaver

Default Re: After cruise...what to do..Kennedy Space Center?

Just my opinion, but I think Kennedy Space Center and the Astronaut Hall Of Fame are simply the BEST attractions in Florida. They don't cost nearly as much as Mickey, Universal and all the others, and best of all -
It's all about REAL people, who did courageous REAL things, like go the moon FOR REAL. Truth is not only stranger than fiction, it's also far more amazing than fiction.
You can see most of the Space Center in half a day, if you skip the IMAX movies and a bus tour or two. If you only have a few hours, don't miss the Hall of Fame.
(I mean no offense to Minnie, Goofy, The Terminator, or seven certain dwarfs)
Old September 6th, 2002, 07:09 AM
eerkun

Half a day minimum; but some of the really interesting places require the bus tour which will add considerably to your time there. Personally, I would plan on the full day. Have not been back in a couple of years, so I am not sure how tours and such might have changed since 9/11 and the added security. We'll be spending a week in Florida when we disembark and plan to check things out again then.
Old September 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Yeoman

Be first off the ship, go straight to KSC and get a bus tour reservation early enough to allow making your flight. It would be a shame to miss it if a shuttle is on the pad. Otherwise, you can spend a day touring the center and feel the time well spent. It is current and revelant and awsome. My wife and daughter felt the space toilet exhibit a bit much but if you want to be fully informed.........

The Astronaut Hall of Fame is closer and easier to get to, a bit more commercial, a bit more hands on for youngsters, and houses Space Camp. Not enough time in one day to do both. A good alternative if constrained by time but definitely second choice to KSC.

On a Bermuda cruise with Raddison, the ship put into Port Canaveral just for the KSC tour. Folks raved about it.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old September 6th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Yeoman

Thanks everyone..

We'll be picked up by the Radisson shuttle. We'll go there and pick up our car. Then we'll go to KSC..our flight leaves at 6:15 pm..so we'll need to get to the airport by ??...4:30 since we have to drop off the car too..at least. So not sure how far KSC is from the airport..1/2 hr?? So I'd want to leave KSC by 3:45...Does this sound like enough time? I'm just guessing we'll get to KSC at around 10:00-10:30?

thanks,
Laura
Old September 6th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Yeoman

Which airport? You will have enough time to do KSC and make your flight. The bus tour will depend on timing. The entire Cape Canaveral complex is pretty compact. The AAA Canaveral/Cocoa Beach map will give you a good understanding of the layout. Don't forget Ron Jons.
Old September 6th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Yeoman

Our airport is Orlando. So it looks like we'll have 5 hrs. at the KSC. How often do they have bus tours? HOw long do they last?? So go to AAA and get a map of Canaveral/Cocoa Beach?? I have a Florida map from there. Do u know what time we usually get off the ship? NOT that I'm in a hurry. Don't want to get off, but we have to.

Laura
Old September 7th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Yeoman

You should be off the ship by 9:00 latest.

MCO is 45 minutes on the Bee Line Expressway which was built just to get people from Cape Canaveral terminals/KSC to Orlando airport/WDW.

AAA FL map is fine, just more detail in the area map.

Check www.ksc.nasa.gov for more than you would ever want to know, including maps.

As I recall, the bus tour takes a little more than an hour. The number in use depends on the season and crowd. Problem is that they fill up so you need to book early. You might be able to book in advance.
Old September 7th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Yeoman

You got me curious so I punched in the KSC website. www.kennedyspacecenter.com will give you all the information you need, including tour schedules. There is an email address for specifics. Would have emailed but......... Hope this helps.
Old September 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Yeoman

Thanks Don!
I see there's a number too I can call for info. Just when you've never been to a place and not sure of the layout..just don't know what to expect. All I care about is getting to my plane on time! But seems like there won't be any problem.

Looking so forward to all of this. Now we have something to look forward to when we have to get off the ship. : (

6 more days til we fly out for the Pride!

Laura
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Yeoman

Don't forget Ron Jons.
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Yeoman

Ok..now which way is Ron Jons..it's on my list from when u mentioned it in another post to me. Is it on our way out from KSC? I have NO clue! I thought you mentioned it was in Cocoa Beach???
Old September 7th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

Cocoa Beach is on around the curve heading south on 528, minutes from the Raddison. Ask about Ron Jons when you check in and everyone in the place will point. They are open late so it is a good place to go after dinner, or the next morning before heading out to the ship. It will take a while to see it all.

As you cross the tall bridge over the Banana River, you will have a good view of the terminals to your immediate left. The hotel is not that far beyond so be looking.

The KSC complex is north a few (not many) miles. Always thought a great view of a launching would be from the deck of a departing or arriving ship.

Have fun and let us know how it all works out.
Old September 9th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Admiral

If you tour the Kennedy Space Center, be sure to bring mosquito repellant. It is in the middle of a swamp.

Cheers,
Michelle B.