Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Josie Metress

Default Luggage Weight

This really isn't a cruise question; however, the airlines are supposedly enforcing the size and weight of luggage (62" combined height, width & depth and 70 lbs per piece) Being a woman on the 11-day Ultimate Caribbean who always takes more than I need, I was wondering if anyone has encountered the enforcement of these restrictions? I planned on taking one large (30") and one small. However, since the airlines is charging (some up to $80) for each piece over the size and weight. I was curious if anyone has had to pay extra on their flights. Thanks for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2002, 02:27 PM
bill&marti

Default Re: Luggage Weight

We came real close back in January with piece of luggage similar to the one you described. It was barely under the weight limit and we we warned not to pack anymore into it for the return trip. The ticket agent slapped big red & white tags labeled "HEAVY" all over the piece.

Next time we're taking my brother's advice. Lay out all the clothes you plan on taking and put half of them back in the closet. We found it a good rule of thumb. Half the clothes we took along came back unused. Our next cruise is also 11 days so we really need to watch what we pack.

Happy sailing!

Bill
Old September 27th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Luggage Weight

Very good possibility that your 30" will exceed size limits and ,if packed full, weight limits.
Go for two medium sized instead of the one very big and one small. Why chance the hassle and expense?
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Yeoman

Included in our Raddison documents was a service that picks up your luggage at home and promises to have it in your hotel or state room when you arrive. Same service guaranteed for the trip home.

I assume they use an overnight shipping service. Benefits are no security hassles and no restrictions to size and weight, after you pay. You can then travel very, very light.

We were driving so I discarded the brochure. Wish I had kept it.
Old October 3rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am purchasing a couple of smaller bags, to replace our 30"...I rather be safe then give the Airlines MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!Stephanie