Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Default Panama Canal round trip from FL?

Does anyone know if there is a round trip cruise from somewhere in Florida that actually goes all the way through the Panama Canal before turning back to Florida?
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Panama Canal round trip from FL?

Only way to go all the way through and return to the same port is to book back to back transit cruises. Other wise the ship will turn around in the lake claiming if you have seen one set of locks, you've seen them all.
Old September 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Panama Canal round trip from FL?

"Only way to go all the way through and return to the same port is to book back to back transit cruises. Other wise the ship will turn around in the lake claiming if you have seen one set of locks, you've seen them all."

Is that true? I thought some of the most interesting sites are on the Pacific side. I'll probably never get back to Panama again, so I'd like to see everything. Would I be missing something great by just going as far as the lake? I've heard that the Bridge of the Americas (do I have the name right?) is something I shouldn't miss. I think there is something else recommended, but I can't remember what it was right now.
Old September 29th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Panama Canal round trip from FL?

Have to ask someone who has done both. I intend to do the round trip from MIA and have been warned repeatedly that I will miss the best part of the transit.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Panama Canal round trip from FL?

+Going back to back is the only way to go. We did 21 days on the Royal Princess when she was doing that trip and it was wonderful. Generally you have different ports on each leg. The return trip gives you a one up on the new passengers and time to enjoy everything you missed. It is about an 8 hour day of nice slow travel so if shipboard is what you are looking for it is great. The Bridge of the America's is beautiful, especially on your return as you are seeing it in the morning light. I was a "holdout" as it was a trip my husband wanted and I thought it would just be one big ditch. I was on deck both ways for the full time. Go and enjoy - who knows, we may join you. It is worth the repeat.