Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Which line and what part of Caribbean is the nicest?

Hi,
We are wanting to plan a Caribbean cruise and have no idea which part of the Caribbean to sail. Can you all help us with the differences between the western, eastern, and southern cruises? How are they different? Any info would be really appreciated. This would be our second cruise. The first was to Alaska on the Sun Princess. We are torn between booking with Princess again or trying Royal Caribbean this time. Thanks for the help everyone!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Which line and what part of Caribbean is the nicest?

Hi Sue,
We recently went on our first Alaska cruise and now are booked on Radiance of the Seas for a Southern cruise. These 2 are totally different kinds of cruising expierences. You will find that most southern cruises have more port and less "sea" days than any on the Eastern or Western. Also, the Southern cruises leave out of San Juan, Puerto rico, rather than Florida or Texas for an Eastern or Western. I find the more stops the better, you don't always have to get off the ship. St. Thomas is just about always a stop for this kind of itinary. There are more water type activities in a Western cruise, just a few guidelines for picking out which itinary you want to do.

Here is an article that hopefully will help you decide:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../itinerary.cfm

After you finally decide exactly where you want to cruise, then there is finding the perfect ship for you, not an easy thing to do these days, lots of nice ships out there. If know which ship and when you want to go, you can post on the "bargain finder" here at Cruisemates and travel agents will e-mail you their best deal on the cruise you are looking for. Its a nice feature and hassle-free.

http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Which line and what part of Caribbean is the nicest?

Ive never done the southern route but would like to some day. Ive done both western and eastern. If i had to choose one over the other my preference would be eastern. The biggest turn off for me with the western is Jamaica...Ive tried it twice and hated it both times. Its beautiful but unfortunatley the people are not very welcoming. Grand Cayman is good for the stingrays but thats about it as far as im concerned. Its not much to look at. Cozumel is ok...
The eastern took us to Nassau, St. Thomas very friendly (unlike jamaica) I loved St. Thomas and took the ferry to St. John and loved it. San Juan Puerto Rico was interesting but next time i will forego the long trip to the rain forest ans stick with checking out the old fort. Thats simply my opinion. Even if you went on a cruise and didnt get off at the ports I still think its a great time...

enjoy..
Paula
Old October 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Admiral

SueZ: No problem...Just pick which order you would like to cruise....Western, Eastern, Southern! You should try them all.
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Which line and what part of Caribbean is the nicest?

I agree with mermaid. We went to E. Carib.last Jan. on Explorer and are going to W. on Exp. next Jan and to S. the next year. See it all! We'll eventually go on a Circle the Carib. and just take different trips to "get out there!", as RCI says. We will stick with RCI. and the Voyager class ships. Our first cruise last Jan on Exp. was fabulous.
I am interested in the negative comments about Jamaica. I've heard them before. on various CM boards. My daughter and her husband went to a Sandals all-inclusive resort in Montego Bay on their honeymoon and didn't have any problems--and they toured Ocho Rios and other areas while they were there. We'll be at Ocho Rios in Jan. and will probably do the cruise tour because we are not experienced enough to feel secure going off by ourselves. The one thing I like about the W. Carib. cruise is all the stops are all day. We had short days in Nassau and San Juan, which meant getting up EARLY for excursions and not enough time to do as much as we hoped.
Labadee was our favorite stop. All day on the beach (well, back a little under a patch of shade),gorgeous view, warm water, nice lunch, clean restrooms, calypso band, tram ride, Labadoozies. (Made me feel really decadent) It was a little crazy at the markets, but I survived. The locals don't bother anyone except at the markets and they are just trying to sell their wares. It was almost painful having to leave, knowing we had only one more day before going home.
Old October 16th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Trina

We have done the west, east, and southern. By far, the southern is our favorite. We like all the port stops. Aruba has been our favorite. We are leaving on another southern in 2 weeks. Can't wait.
Old October 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Admiral

From all the posts- you can see the choices are not easy. There will be a vast different between your Alaska cruise and the Caribbean. I have been on all the routes and my preference is W for Grand Cayman- so my choice would opt for an all day port there. I too skip Jamaica. One thing about the Caribbean you sail to less desired ports on most all sailings- not so in Alaska. So choose carefully. I find the San Juan departures hectic with daily port stops and like sea days in between, but then you can have an empty ship to yourself. I would evaluate what your shore choices preferences are- shopping, snorkling, history etc then fit in the route and look for a bargain on a ship!
Old October 21st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Without a doubt, Southern! Am going again next month on the Sky. I really enjoy this part of the Caribbean, my next choice being Eastern, and Western last. It's all good,however, but love that Southern Route!