Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2002, 11:23 AM
David Lee

Default Any Costa Maya Tour Experiences?

We are scheduled on Grand Princess 2/23/03 - 3/2/03, but are concerned about 1.) Lack of information on Costa Maya Tours to the three Archeological Sites and 2.) Frequency of skipping this port due to heavy seas, Anybody have recent information ??
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Any Costa Maya Tour Experiences?

David, we were there last week ( first time ever ) due to a port change brought on by the storms.
Costa Maya to me seemed to be a pretty new port. They had a very nice dock so no tendering and the shopping area was very nice.

Re/ Mayan tours, we had two to choose from. One was to Chacchoben, was approx. 4 hrs. Per the info I had, the site was approx a one hour ride, covered approx 10 acres and mostly un-excavated.
The other was to Kohunlich, was approx 7 hr. and involved a 2 hr. bus ride each way. Unfortunately there was road construction almost all the way which added to the travel time. The ruins were pretty well excavated and interesting, but if you have ever been to Chichen-Itza or Uxmal,these other Mayan sites pale in comparison.
I strongly urge you to take insect repellent--you will need it.
By the time you go, the road construction should be finished. Re/ heavy seas, as I said, there is a very nice dock there so there would not be any tendering involved.
I hope to go back there sometime as I think it was very pretty.
Hope I have helped . Happy Sails.
Old October 12th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Any Costa Maya Tour Experiences?

We were there in December on the Zenith. My husband and adult son went to the
shorter Mayan Ruin Tour. They liked it, but said the ride was long.

I love the beach so I took a beach tour that took about a 45 minute ride to a new
beach location. It was very nice. Place to change, food and drink available. Drinks
were included in tour price. Beach games by staff, chairs and water toys.

They also had a resident cat that greeted everyone. Since I missed my own
tabbies at home, I spent some time talking to the cat !

The Mexican Staff was very pleasant and seemed to enjoy their jobs.

We did walk through the shops at the pier. The enclosed shops around the
pavilion were fine. The vendors all together under a tent like structure were very
aggressive and if you understand Spanish...you could be surprised at what they
were actually saying. One man was a little vulguar and did not know we understood
him. Interesting !