Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2002, 06:06 PM
SteveL

Default Belize scuba

We're on the Carnival Pride 11-9-02. I've heard the excursion cost is $165. Is it worth the cost? I've been on the Carnival scuba excursion in Cozumel ('00) and dive frequently in the Keys. Cozumel was great, and well worth it ($95). How long is the boat ride and how long off the ship? What do they provide and what should I bring?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize scuba

Belize was written up in the Washington Post travel section just this past Sunday. Log onto their site and see what was said. Belize is fast becoming a Diving paradise as it is one of their prime tourist attractions. Ships have to anchor 6 miles out of the port due to the sea wall. You may also wish to check out reviews on ports and Carnival forums on cruise critics, cruise addicts, etc. Have a great cruise. We get to visit Belize next April. Let me know how you like it.
Old October 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Belize scuba

Steve, If I ever get to Belize, I certainly plan to dive. That's why I want to go there in fact. I would think that if you do some internet research, you might be able to contact some dive ops there and set your dive up with them for less than what the ship is charging. That's what I have done in various other ports.
Old October 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize scuba

We did a bunch of research trying to find a cheaper dive in Belize and you can't unless you are staying on Ambergis or Caulker Cay. These islands are about 1 to 1-1/2 fast boat ride away. The biggest attaction is the Blue Hole but you have to dive down 110 feet before you see anything. The dive is deeper than that. It is a short dive (obviously) too. The other reefs they dove were to be good too but you need more time than the ship allows. The Radisson Hotel on shore offered a scuba dive for $90 a person plus gear but we decided to do Shark Ray Alley snorkel so we could get to Ambergis Cay to see where most divers stay so if we want to go back on a dive trip we will know what it is like. There is also great diving with whale sharks down south of Belize. I'm glad we did what we did so we'd have more of an idea when we go back and I'm sure we will. We were very disgusted with how grown up Cozumel has gotten. By the way it is a lot cheaper on your own in Cozumel and they put you on smaller boats. Everyone I talked to said the diving was better in Cozumel. From what we saw at Shark Ray Alley the reef is the same (which it is the same reef as Cozumel) and the clarity was the same. We dove Cozumel the next day. Other than the Blue Hole which is too deep and short a dive for all that money and/or the whale sharks in the South (too far to get to while on ship) I didn't think it was worth the money. But that is me. We have two divers to consider so that is over $300 for a few hours and money is tight. All the divers I talked to though that dove both said it was not worth it. If you go on your own in Cozumel (email if you'd like a name of a good dive shop) ask for Grouper City it is a 60 foot dive but you can stay down longer than the 100 foot dives and the grouper are 300 to 400 pounds and over 5 1/2 feet long! We also saw turtle, eels, and much more. Debbie
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize scuba

Also SeaSport offers scuba from Belize City. It is a few blocks down from the port. I think they are also $90.
Old November 6th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Love this place.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Debbie, aka-Happy Camper. I was wondering if you could tell me more about diving with the Whale Shark down south in Belize? I've never heard of anyone doing this and would like to arrange it for an upcoming cruise if I can. Thanks

Tom Doherty
tomdcruise@yahoo.com
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Mcrow

I realize this is an old post, but anyone still wondering about diving in Belize might be interested. You are nuts if you are a diver and go to Belize without dive. We were there last year with RCI. Tried to find cheaper diving than the ship's offering and couldn't, but it was well worth the money. Aqua Divers picked us up at the ship (no tender into port required). The boat ride to Turneffe was about an hour on a very fast boat. The reef and fish counts were excellent! There's a reason that Texas A&M has a marine biology lab here! They took us to Bluebird Caye Resort for lunch on the beach between the two dives. It was by far the most awesome day we spent on a fabulous cruise. Don't miss it!