Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2002, 08:58 AM
Madame Sharon

Default Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Hi all - I'm on the Infinity through the canal on January 5th. Stops include Puntarenas, Costa Rica and Aruba. I'm interested in your favorite activities at these ports. Please help....thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2002, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

At Puntaranas, we took the ship's tour on the Corboci River Rafting expedition which included a great local lunch. Aruba is one of our favorite vacation and cruise port stops. No need for a tour hear, but if you must do it on your own. A half day tour of the island including the Lighthouse, Natural bridge and Baby beach will give you a good look at this friendly island. Take a town bus from the main street to Palm beach for some sunshine and relaxation. You can also get a taxi easily too.
Bon Voyage
Old October 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Hi Madame Sharon. We will be on your cruise. One other person posted on Cruisecritic.

We are also looking for something to do in Costa Rica, but haven't decided yet. We are too chicken to do the rafting! We thought of the riverboat trip, or the poas volcano trip (which is really too long)

We have spent many vacations in Aruba...and to be truthful, never bothered to sightsee. I can't wait to swim in the sea....it's wonderful.

What are your plans in Mexico?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Old October 21st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Passenger

On Aruba (October 2002 - Carnival Destiny) we took the "Banana Bus" which included a short hike to a natural arch with beautiful vistas of the coast followed by a trip to Baby Beach for some wonderful snorkling. Of all our cruises, it was probably the best shore trip we have been on - certainly the most fun.

Enjoy your cruise.

Karen
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Madame Sharon

Default Re: Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Hello! Glad to hear from a fellow traveller. I actually just planned to hit the beach in Aruba, but I'm stumped regarding Costa Rica. As far as Mexico goes, we are Arizonans, so Mexico i.e. Cabo and Acapulco don't seem too exotic to us. In Cabo, we are hoping to "crash" the beach at one of the resort hotels. The resorts have private access to their beaches, so it will be tricky. The shopping is so-so. The prices double at restaurants (CABO WABO, GIGGLING MARLIN) when a cruise ship arrives. It is easy to walk into town from the tender port, tho. I've never been to Acapulco, but reports from friends say the beaches are just so-so and the town's typical Mexico - just with water. Interpret that as you will. Hope to talk soon. Maybe we can meet onboard to say 'HI".
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:12 PM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Hi! It would be fun to meet on board. In Cabo, from what I have read, it looks like there is a beach not far from the pier, Medano (sp) beach. I think they have facilities. What hotel would you crash? I was thinking og doing that in Acapulco. I was there a million years ago. The beach is so-so. But we could take a walk on it. Aruba is also definitely beach. The BIG quesion is Costa Rica. I am going to get the name of a taxi-guide from a friend. I'll e-mail him and see what he can offer. The ship's tours are so costly, it may pay to go privately. I will keep you posted. If you get any info, please inform me too. Ciao!
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Lene, the Corobici River Rafting is not strenuous or white water rafting. It was a lot of fun. There is a guide in each rubber raft with 6 guests. Paddling is minimal and the guide tells you when to paddle. We are 50+ and not adventuresome at all. A story told to us by a guide was about this little old lady of some 85+ years who got off the tour and was socken wet. Everyone asked her if she was OK and how did she like the ride. Her response was she was fine and that the ride was the "best experience she had ever had in her whole life!" On our tour, there was a distinguished looking middle aged woman who happened to be in one of the rafts that got involved in a "water fight". Shee was all wet when we got to shore and laughing a lot. Later on the bus ride back to the pier, we found out she was a former governor in the USA. The luncheon and ride through the country side was very nice. It was a full day tour too but there isn't exactly a lot to do just in town.
Bon Voyage
Old November 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Hi,
I studied abroad in Costa Rica just this past summer for 6 wks and let me tell you.........definitley go your own way!!! Taxi rides are so incredibly cheap and you can hire them out for as many hours as the two parties can decide on!! A few times some friends and I hired a taxi guy (random ones that pulled over to pick us up) and he agreed to be basically our chaffeur for 6 hours and charged us only like$40!! That was for the 4 (10 bucks ea)of us so we grabbed that deal!! The best part is, these 'deals' are just the way it is in CR. It is a rather poor country (some say third world but I do not agree whole-heartedly) so what is expensive to us Northamericans is not usually the same to those from Central and Southamerica.
The only thing I must say, and others that also have experience in CR please give advice on this, but, prices may be completley different where cruise passengers are involved. I lived there in the city and took excursions every weekend so I more or less lived like a local and did not experience inflation. However, seeing as though taxi drivers will clearly know you are coming from that massive cruise ship over yonder......you may not experience the same costs as I did.
Volcan Poas.......absolutley get there and see that crater!!!! If it is a cloudy day, you may have to wait (and it ain't warm) to see the lake inside, but if you do wait it out (i had to wait 2 full hours in drizzle and cold weather) it will be an almost spiritual experience!! And it isn't even that much of a hike! Arenal, on the other hand is thru jungle and animal I had yet to hear of Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Waters
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:58 PM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

For Waters: Have you heard of the river boat ride? Is it worth while?