Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
Madame Sharon

Default Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Can anyone suggest favorite activities for the ports of Puntarenas, Costa Rica or Aruba? Sailing Infinity Jan5th through the canal. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
SpTrout

Default Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

In January 2000 while traveling on the Zenith, we visited Puntarenas, Costa Rica. My wife and I took a Celebrity Tour (called the “Traditions of Costa Rica,” if I remember correctly) that included a visit to a coffee plantation, with a stop for meal cooked by the local residents. This was one of the best tours we have ever taken (been on nine cruises)! The coffee plantation was high up in the mountains and had stunning views of the area. The plantation tour was also very interesting - - came home with some great coffee and a coffee liquor that was very good.

Something that I would have never believed, the meal was very, very good! Everyone we talked to about the meal agreed that it was outstanding. After reloading the tour bus, the guide asked us what we thought about the meal – everybody cheered and applauded. The guide then added that the woman who owns the Tour Company also owned the property we visited for the luncheon (her home is also located there). He added that the owner wanted her customers to experience real Costa Rican food, not some box lunch from a hotel.

There is nothing to see at the port, so if you don’t take a tour you are going to miss-out on one of the most beautiful countries in Central America.
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:57 PM
Admiral

As mentioned, book a ship's tour @ Punteranas. We did the Coroboci River Rafting tour which included a great lunch also. The restaurant was at a native resort with a preserve of wild the animals who live in the area. The rafting was not difficult and there is a guide in each craft with six others. The whole day was a lot of fun for all ages and agilities.
Aruba is one of our favorite islands. You can easily do this on your own. Take a half day island tour to include the Lighthouse, Natural Bridge, Baby Beach, the oil refinery and a general drive around the countryside. Then stop at Palm Beach for relaxing in the beautifl azure waters and sitting under a Palm tree. The bus station which is about a block away from the pier with the cost about $1 each way. Get off near the Holiday Inn.
Bon Voyage
Old October 31st, 2002, 06:03 PM
Lene

Default Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

Nana...I have read a lot about the rafting. We are 60 years old and dear hubby is rather klutzy (Clumsy!). Is there any danger of fallling out of the raft? Thanks for your response
Old November 2nd, 2002, 03:45 AM
Randee

Default Re: Re: Re: Costa Rica/Aruba tours?

We are thinking about the rafting and are leaving next week. The only reason I would not do this is that it may be too long of a day. Help me out here. Is it a long bus ride each way? Do you get sun/ rain or a little of everything? This is the only tour at this stop that appeals to me but I was going to make up my mind when boarding. Any info would be helpful. We are in our 40's and want to try this sometime, but we have had some excursion in our career that could have been shorter for our taste.
Old November 5th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Boz

Last April we were in Aruba and the Mi Duche was a phenominal day. 85 foot antique ship holds around 35. Drinks and catered lunch. 3 dive spots and the water is as clear as anywhere in the world. The crew is wonderful. Mario has run the ship for 16 years and does a great job entertaining and throwing a great party. Of couse when your done Everyone from the ships goes to Carlos and Charlies for HUGE night. Hope you depart late in evening so you can enjoy C & C. Highly recomend being rested when visiting C & C because it is an awsome evening.