Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
MIKE V

Default El Guamache, Venezuela

Has anyone ever visited this Isle Margarita Port? We will be there on our 11/21 HAL Amsterdam cruise and can't find much info on local attractions or beaches.
Any favorite ship tours taken at this stop? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: El Guamache, Venezuela

We stopped there on Celebrity last year and stayed on board ship. Although there is a small beach near the pier, it is shallow and not much of an attraction. It has been stated, that a ship's tour is the way to go. People only speaks Spanish and the vehicles are really old and roads are not in very good condition.
Bon Voyage
Old October 25th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Mike, I was there on Princess not quite two years ago. Margarita is a big island. The terrain varies from flat and scrubby to mountains, tropical , etc.

We took a ships tour, which in my opinion is the best way to go here. You can look on HAL"s website and pull up their shore excursions for that stop. Some people liked it, some didn't. I personally just don't like to go somewhere and stay on the ship unless I have been there several times before. I like to see new things and etc.

With all respect to Nanatravel, they posted that they stayed on the ship, but described the cars as old and the roads bad??

When we went, we were on a modern bus with a/c, an english speaking guide and a modern highway. I'm sure there are places where there are rough roads, etc. (heck, I seem to find them often --potholes, etc. here where I live!!)

I hope you take the time to get off, take a trip and see the countryside. If you like it, fine. If not, you still can say --been there--done that--

Wish I were going.
Old November 5th, 2002, 05:50 PM
First Mate

We loved Isla Margarita when we were there in March. We went off the ship then hired a local van driver to take us along with 3 other couples. He took us all over the East and north side of the island, visiting small villages, beaches , cathedrals etc. it was our call where to stop and for how long. The total tour was 5 hours, all for the price of $20 each....one of the best tours I`ve ever taken.....jean