Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:44 PM
My Key

Default Any Key West Recommendations?

We are going to be traveling the first week of Decemeber aboard the Celebrity Lines, Horizon. Our first stop is Key West. We will be in the port for seven hours. I would appreciate any advise you would be willing to share, good or bad. Thanks for your time and attention. Have a great day.

My Key
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2002, 02:21 PM
Regina

Default Re: Any Key West Recommendations?

My Key
We might be there at the same time. We're on the Rhapsody. Will arrive Tues. I believe there will be 5 ships then. Key West is having their annual "Pirates in Paradise" at that time so I expect everything to be crowded. Info for this event can be found at http//www.piratesinparadise.com.
As far as any tour goes, I never, well, almost never recomend anything. I might love something and you may hate it. I've even heard people say how much they loved airline food. YUCK.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 05:36 PM
First Mate

And you can go have a margarita at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville!
Old November 3rd, 2002, 06:43 PM
My Key

Default Re: Re: Any Key West Recommendations?

Regina,

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful information. That sound like fun having a Pirate Festival going on while we are in Port. I really don't seem to mind the crowd too much. I appreciate you sharing the web site address. I look forward to surfing through the site and trying to pick up other information. I have forwarded the web site to others joining us on the Cruise. I hope you have a great vacation. Thanks again for all of your help.

My Key
Old November 3rd, 2002, 06:45 PM
My Key

Mandy,

Thanks for the Margarittaville tip. We love Jimmy Buffet. This will be one of the things we will do while in Port. Thanks for your willingness to respond. Have a great day.

My Key
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Any Key West Recommendations?

You might be interested in checking out Mel Fisher's museum. I thought it was very interesting, seeing the jewelry,etc. that had been recovered from the ship wrecks.

Please post re/ the Horizon's condition , upkeep, etc. after you get back. I am sailing that same route in Jan. We were on the Horizon way back when she first came out and was wondering how well she had been cared for.
Thanks and have a great time.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 08:39 PM
My Key

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Key West Recommendations?

Ron,

Thanks for the Museum recommendation. It sounds very interesting and something I would enjoy doing. I will send you a personal E-mail on the Horizon's condition and things we did along the way. I hope you Cruise in Jan. See you.

My Key
Old November 4th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Yeoman

Should see Hemingway's house if you like history and cats.

Market place across the street down a block from Mallory Square is good for hand rolled cigars of questionable origin. The sandal shop is a Key West fixture but make them create a pair from your footprint, don't buy from the bin.

Aloe factory for catalog and mailing list. Great for Xmas gifts. Shop while hubby watches manufacturing process through nose printed viewing window. All the lost teenagers and secretaries of the world work there, for a while.

Something local is added to the drinks. Rum doesn't kick like that.

Don't worry about looking like a tourist. You will never, ever be taken for a local.

Great place.
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:39 PM
My Key

Don,

Thanks for all of the excellent information. I am passing along the E-mail to the others we will be traveling with. We planned to do some Christmas shopping and will definately check out the Aloe Factory. Thanks again for all of your help.

My Key
Old November 13th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Candace Early

Depending on your interests, I'd highly recommend the Hogs Breath tavern. They have the best conch fritters that you'll find anywhere else in the keys. Hemingway's house was interesting, but no big deal unless you're really interested in him. You can take some good pictures of it without actually having to pay to go inside. The Hard Rock Cafe is fairly new and anywhere you go you can order Key Lime pie. The pier (famous for its sunsets) has some intresting characters, too. Everything is basicall right off of Duval Street and it's not as big as you may think so you probably could do a little of everything in the seven hours that you'll be there. I hope I helped. HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!
Old November 22nd, 2002, 11:02 PM
Sooshie

We were just there in October 02 during fantasy fest. It wasn't as crowded as you might think it would be given the size of the place. We did the Conch train tour since we got into port very early and the shops etc. didn't open until around 10am. After that we hung out at Sloppy Joes (great margaritas too) and we strolled up and down Duval street watching women get their breasts painted (weird stuff during fantasy fest) and eating key lime pie. We went to the Sunken ship museum also. I didn't feel that it was worth the $7 pp admission to look at a bunch of old treasures...just my opinion I'm not much into the museums.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

Susan