Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:01 AM
Passenger

Default Caribbean: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

Help me solve a dilemma! My parents and I booked two cruises - Both are Western Caribbean cruises leaving on May 25. One is with Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas and the other is Carnival Conquest. I have to decide which to put a deposit down on by tomorrow.

What are the differences between the cruises? On Royal Caribbean, we have a category B room and on Conquest, we have a category 11 (Both the 2nd highest category). Do you know what the differences in the quality of the rooms are and if we'd get anything extra in them?

What are the differences between the two cruise destinations? Which are preferable? How about cruise ship activities? Food? The gym? There's always the issue that Conquest will be only a few months old - does that tend to make it a better ship?

Which should I choose? Let me know today please!
alison
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Caribbean: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

oh boy that's a toughie, its really hard to compare cruise line to cruise line. I would be a little leary of a brand new ship like the Conquest, it takes a while for the crew to get acclimated to a new ship- personally i like a ship to be in-service for a full-year before I cruise on her, just so they get all the bugs worked out, but that's just me. Also IMHO i think that RCCL has a bit more "class" shall i say than Carnival, not that there is anything wrong with Carnival, i might be a bit of a cruise snob when it comes to service.(Princess and their Grand Class Cruising has spoiled me). It all comes down to a personal choice of what will suit your needs the best.
Old December 4th, 2002, 05:31 PM
WilliamBlack

I don't think you should worry about the crew being up to date because Carnival cycles their employees from ship to ship, so it is not like a they are going to have a new unexperienced crew. Plus the Conquest will be 6 months old that is plenty of time to get the kinks out. I saild the Carnival Pride 2 months ago and it was 9 months old. It was beautiful and service was the best I have seen on a Carnival ship. I would deffinetly reccomend the Conquest.
Old December 16th, 2002, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Caribbean: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

The main difference between the two cruise lines is that the Carnival ships are party ships with a younger crowd that tends to louder and Royal Caribbean has more of an adult crowd. The pina coladas on Royal Caribbean are the best we've ever had. We are in our early fifties, are very active and prefer Royal Caribbean because it's not as rowdy.
Old December 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Caribbean: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

I have sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival... I am in my 20's and although Carnival is said to be a "party" ship, I did not get that opinion. I had a great time but did not see all the "partying" that is rumoured to go on during the cruise. Everyone seemed to have a great time and I guess that is all that matters. As for the age of the guests, from what I saw, it was a pretty nice mix... the ship was not overrun by the young crowd.

Although I greatly enjoyed my canrival cruise... I fell in love with the style and class of the Royal Caribbean ships. I have been on the Explorer of the seas and am currently leaving in two days on the Soverign of the seas. In June I am booked on yet another Royal caribben ship... this time the Voyager of the Seas. By far, if you are looking for great style, class, and elegance... go with Royal Caribbean.
Old December 24th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Caribbean: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

I'd vote for the Voyager-class ship on RCCL. I've sailed RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival, and RCCL is my favorite. I tend to like a lot of activities/entertainment, good service, and good food.

BTW: Even if you've booked already, most cruise lines let you cancel your reservation outside of 70 days of departure with no penalty. Your TA may charge you a fee however.

Peek over in the Royal Caribbean part of the Message boards. There's one there that talks about several ships, and trying to make a choice. ErnieMCC has written a good reply there.
Old December 25th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Crooz

Drop them both and book NCL's new Sun or Norwegian Dawn!
I somewhat disagree with earlier statements that Carnival is a party ship, and that RCCL is not. But you will experience a bit classier clientel on RCCL than Carnival, and better service as well. The route differences are what you should consider! Are you a land person/explorer or a crowded pool day at sea person?
Good luck...
Old December 26th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Browezilla

...here's the title of the article under the cruise lines Board Topic "Celebrity Millenium vs. RC Explorer, Voyageur, Navigator". Look for ErnieMCC's reply. It is excellent, and points out some of the difference in the cruise lines broadbrush fashion. As Ernie points out, cruises are not a commodity, and cruise lines target different types of customers (market segment). NCL and Celebrity definitely are more service/elogence oriented. The key is to know what type of customer each cruise lines targets, what the ship offers and its attributes (e.g. age, vaulting), and the itinerary.
Old December 27th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

I'm 15 and I like Carnival a lot better. Its more fun and not so up-tight. Although either ship would be great. Plus Carnivals Rooms are bigger. You will have fun on either one
Old December 28th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Browezilla

Good point Rob. The rooms in general are larger on Carnival in my experience (check the specs for specific ships). Royal Carib does tend to offer a higher caliber service and food, and the activities are geared toward a slightly older crowd (30-ish).