Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Bettina

Default Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

Can anybody help us?

We are two first time cruisers wanting to make the most of our stops at Grand Cayman and Cozumel (stopping there mid december 2002).

Figured to combine snorkeling and Stingray City in Grand Cayman, and want to do a Helmet dive (Sea Trek) in Cozumel.

Have found out that the helmet dive can be done in Chankanaab park where I figure that we can snorkel as well.
Plan to take a cab to Chankanaab Park and enter ourselves.

But can you book a helmet dive in advance? (besides the ships tour - which is not the best time schedule)
Or is this not needed? (really want to be sure that we are doing this)

Will we miss out on better snorkeling by doing boat trips in Grand Cayman and "only" Chankanaab Park in Cozumel.

Please help anyone!

Best regards

Bettina
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

Hi Bettina,
Not sure if you can pre-book the helmet dive, but here is a link to their web-site, may-be it will tell or have a phone number, e-mail where you can find out for sure:

http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 1st, 2002, 12:04 PM
Casey501

We were on a Western Carib. cruise last Spring and took a cab in Cozumel to Chankanaab. While there, we rented snorkel gear for $5 and had a great time. Did not dive. We also did Stingray city/snorkel combo in Grand Cayman. The water was a little rough that day for the snorkeling, but we still saw some amazing fish and beautiful coral. The stingrays were so much fun!
Old December 26th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, but I am curious if you ever lived in Montreal (Roxboro, actually) I used to know a Bettina here, and it's not a very common name!
Old December 27th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Bettina

We are just back from the maiden voyage with The Navigator of the Seas.

We went to Cozumel and ended up just taking a cab (10 $) to Chankanaab park when we arrived.

Just went to the helmet dive counter and there was no need to book the dive, just come when you want to dive.

Did so when I felt like it and payed 50 $ for it.

Was a fun expeirience but I was expecting some fishes to watch under wather and the only ones we saw were the ones we could see from the surface, so no need diving 25 feet for that.

Too bad we missed out on our snorkeling trip in Grand Cayman due to bad weather.... now I just have to go again sometime ;-)

To Donna:
Never lived in Canda, I am from Denmark but living in Holland.....all european.
Guess the name is more common over here as well... it is not that unusual anyway.

Hope this might help others going to Cozumel.

Enjoy and happy new year!

Bettina
Old December 27th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

Bettina - glad to get some feedback from you! For your next cruise when you go to Cozumel - hire a dive boat and dive the Palencaar Reef! - imho much better marine life than in Chankanaab.
Old December 28th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

To dive Palencaar, do you need to be certified or are there instructor led trips? I have a group of 12 going with mixed abilities. Recommendations on Dive Shops would also be appreciated.
Old December 28th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Divers will need to be certified Browezilla. The Dive Master will choose the dives and dive locations to be in line with the LEAST experienced diver on the trip.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Chankanaab Park - Cozumel

We snorkled Palencaar with a Dive Master and all levels of people some who had never snorkled before. I can't help with SCUBA. I would assume that you would need to be certified. Palencaar is amazing
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Really enjoyed Stingray city and Chankanaab. Would return to both again, but just take a cab-not tour- to Chankanaab.