Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Default What's the best thing to do in St. Thomas?

My fiance and I will be taking the Carnival Triumph in January, and traveling to San Juan, St. Marteen and St. Thomas. We're just going to go to some bars and clubs in San Juan, and most likely Oreint Beach in St. Marteen, but we don't know what to do in St. Thomas.

I'd like to go somewhere without a large crowd where we can lay with each other on the beach, and not be fearful of many people walking up on us. I've heard Water Island is good, but don't know how easy it is to get there, etc.

A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What's the best thing to do in St. Thomas?

take the water taxi from Red Hook harbor over to St. John's Island, Trunk Bay Beach is the most popular beach but it still isn't nearly as crowded and as touristy as Maegan's Bay Beach on St. Thomas. Are you looking for a clothing-optional beach such as Orient Beach in St. Maarteen? I don't think you will find one, but you will be able to find some more private beaches on St. John's.
Old December 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Sapphire Beach in St Thomas is a very beautiful beach, we encountered no vendors at all and very uncrowded. We got to the beach at 9:00AM and were the only one's there until about 10:30AM. Snorkling gear and chairs available for renting and the water has a little bit of a wave and is deep , but the snorkling is excellent.
Old December 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM
First Mate

We caught a cab in port into town for morning shopping, then caught a tour guide in town that took us on a tour of the island (very interesting), then took us to Coki Beach for the afternoon. This beach was not crowded the day we were there, plenty of room for privacy if you moved a little further down the beach from the entrance. Beach chairs and umbrellas available for rent. Bar/food service to your chair. Beautiful beach, no entrance fee! Here's a link to pictures from our September Paradise cruise there:

http://community.webshots.com/user/judyjbest

Happy cruising!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old December 25th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Crooz

Best thing to do is leave St. Thomas for St John's beautiful beaches. Seriously! Don't waste you time on St. Thomas. 2/3rd's of St. John is a National Park & it has the best lot of beaches to be found in the caribbean. Good Luck...
Old December 25th, 2002, 07:35 PM
First Mate

Sppunk00:

We just sailed this same itinerary on the Carnival Victory Dec. 1 - 8, 2002. We've been to St. Thomas 4 times. Each time, we found someting different, fun, and interesting to do. Coki Beach was not crowded. It's a good, small beach to sunbathe and snorkel there. There are plenty of taxis there, too.

Earlier this month, we took the 5-star snorkel tour to Trunk Bay at St. John. That was fabulous! We sailed a converted oyster boat on the snorkel tour. There were about 40 passengers on board. If you do that tour, be the first off the boat to snorkel so you can see the fish before everyone scares them away. While snorkeling, we paused on a nearby beach. It was secluded and not crowded. The sand was FABULOUS: soft, white, and comfortable.

At St. Maarten, we went to the clothing-optional part of Orient Beach on the French side of the island. (There is a clothing mandatory part, too.) The entire beach was crowded for 2 reasons: a) there were 6 cruise ships docked in the port, and b) our ship docked late in the morning after the other 5 ships. We still enjoyed ourselves at Orient Beach.

BTW, according to the snorkel tour operator at St. John, there is a clothing-optional beach at St. Thomas. Ask any taxi driver to take you to Frenchman's Beach. It's not far from the cruise ship pier and it's a little past the cliff-side Marriott Hotel. We sailed past Frenchman's Beach during the snorkel tour.

If you do go to Frenchman's beach, do post a message to this forum and let us know if it is truly clothing optional. I haven't been there, yet. Thanks.

George

Ecstasy, 12/98
Imagination, 12/99
Fascination, 12/00
Destiny, 5/01
Destiny, 12/01
Victory, 12/02
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Take the water taxi to Trunk's bay or Megan's Bay.
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:53 AM
First Mate

I recently spent five nights in St John. I recommend that you go to St John for the day. Trunk Bay is beautiful, and Cinnamon Bay has an old plane wreck you can snorkel over as well as a reef that comes right up to shore. Cruz Bay has many unique shops. We stayed on the east end past Coral Bay, so we also enjoyed snorkeling at Salt Pond Bay (where we saw Hawksbill Turtles).
We are actually taking our family along with us on our March 2003 cruise... as we are getting married on our day in port at St John (on a beach). St John was so much more natural and underdeveloped. It was simply beautiful, and we explored all over the island!
Because we have already been to Magens Bay on St Thomas, we went to St Thomas simply to complete legal paperwork at the courthouse for our wedding and to shop for our wedding rings. Oh yeah - and to catch our flight home.
Old January 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: What's the best thing to do in St. Thomas?

Where do you get the water taxi?
Old January 6th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: What's the best thing to do in St. Thomas?

On the far eastern point of the island at Red Hook. Any taxi can take you there for about $10-12
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
jlynd

FYI - there are no clothing optional beaches on St. John. We went to Trunk and Cinnamon in August and there was litterally no one else at Cinnamon when we were there. If you walk all the way to the right as you are facing the water there is a little spot where the beach dips into the trees that is very beautiful and very secluded. I have some pictures of this spot at http://community.webshots.con/user/jean_lynd . I hope this helps!