Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Default Which do you prefer: Trunk Bay or Megan's Bay?

Based on experiences, knowledge, etc., which one of the two would you chose to visit if given the opportunity. I don't know which one me and my fiance should go to. Any help would be great! Thanks and happy sailing!
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Which do you prefer: Trunk Bay or Megan's Bay?

Hi Sppunk,
We've been to both and if I have the extra time, its Trunk Bay for sure, especially if we want to snorkel, otherwise its a much shorter trip to Meagans bay for a nice beach day.
Love them both, but prefer Trunk Bay for the sheer beauty of the island of St. John :-)

Last trip to Trunk Bay, was doing the "Wild Thing", this pic is taken from the boat.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Familiar Face

Trunk Bay is much less crowded but is much longer to get to since you need to Ferry over to St John's. I was a bit disappointed with trunk last January because there werent many fish to see snorkeling so it was a long ride just to see water. Megens bay can really get crowded but you can stop there for an hour and then cut out to do something else. johnny
Old December 9th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Which do you prefer: Trunk Bay or Megan's Bay?

...go to Cinnamon Bay on St. John instead. Only a short distance past Trunk, just as good snorkeling (maybe better!), all the facilities, and 1/4 the number of people!!! Megans is nice, but St. John is paradise!
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:18 AM
First Mate

I have to agree with gene. Love St. John!! Went to Cinnamon Bay for the first time this August and it is paradise and we were the only people there!! Happy Planning!
Old December 10th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Beginner

How do you get to Cinnamon Bay from St. Thomas, and roughly how long does it take? I'll be on the Triumph, so not really sure where she docks...
Old December 10th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Getting to St. John and the beaches takes a little effort but the rewards are more than worth it. First, no matter how hard it is to get up and DO IT, try to be off the ship by 8:30 (closer to 8 would be better, if possible), grab a cab right at the dock for Red Hook. There are ferries from Charlotte Amalie but they don't run as often and take longer to get to St. John. If you're lucky and there isn't too much traffic, you can make the 9 a.m. ferry from Red Hook. The ferries leave every half hour from Red Hook and Cruz Bay (St. John) starting at 10 a.m. so if you miss the 9 a.m. baot you'll have to wait an hour for the next one. The ride over is only about 20 minutes and very pretty. In Cruz Bay (a cool, laid back town - great shopping and restaurants/bars without the craziness of St. Thomas) you can grab a cab to the beaches. Trunk is very pretty of course but does get a little crowded by mid-day (by St. John standards anyway!), does cost to get in but has all the facilities you could want (food, changing, water equipment rental, fresh water showers) but the snorkeling can be hit or miss, depending on how much wind there has been and how clear the water is. Last June we went to Hawksnest right next door to Trunk; it was great, very few people, good snorkeling, no charge to use but no facilities. Twice before we've been to Cinnamon and that's where we'll probbably go when we return in April. Great snorkeling, all the facilities, no admission charge, and a lot fewer people than Trunk. All these beaches are within a few minutes of each other so I guess you could try a couple. They are all beautiful beyond description. Cabs are easy to get when you're ready to go back to catch the ferry - there will always be a couple waiting for beach-goers. We try to leave the beach by 2 p.m. so we can walk around in Cruz Bay a bit, maybe have a nice frozen drink, then get the 3 p.m. ferry back to Red Hook. A half hour cab ride gets you back to the dock and shopping in Havensight for an hour or so before its time to think about getting back on board. You can do all this very easily on your own - no need to take a ship excursion (just be sure to get that 3 p.m. ferry in Cruz Bay to leave yourself some time). Ferry costs $6 or $7 round trip - buy a round trip ticket rather than having to stand in line in Cruz Bay. ST. JOHN IS PARADISE!!!!! GO!!!!!!
Old December 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Admiral

love Trunk Bay, Meagan's Bay is very touristy. After reading all these posts, i think we will be heading over to Cinnamon Bay on our next cruise.
Old December 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
First Mate

I have some good pictures of both Trunk and Cinnamon in my Explorer photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd - these might help some of you decide where you want to go. I hope they help!! Happy planning!
Old December 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Re: Which do you prefer: Trunk Bay or Megan's Bay?

I agree. Trunk Bay is pretty, but the beaches on either side have better snorkeling. Maho (I hope that's right), has quite a few turtles that you can snorkel up to.

...but as Donna said, it takes considerably longer (1+ hr more each way). If you want just a nice beach, Magen's is nice. There's also good snorkeling on St. Thomas at Coki, Secret Harbor, and Sapphire.
Old December 28th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Gene pretty much summed up my opinion. I recently visited Hawksnest beach and thought I had landed on Gilligan's Island. Our plan was to visit a two or three beaches that day, but somehow, it just didn't seem to matter after reaching paradise. I loved it so much in fact, that I am actually considering a LAND trip to St. John.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old December 29th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mermaid - couldn't agree more! of the dozen or so islands we've visited, St. John is the one we'd love to spend a week on.... by the way, that cool house way up on the hill overlooking Hawksnest is available by the week (do a search on "St. John Villa Rentals"). Forgot the name of it but the price was not that bad, close to what you'd pay for a week on the ship (without the food of course!). Imagine waking up to that view...! gene