Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2003, 06:43 PM
sirkevin

Default St. Martin

Is this place safe enough to got out on your own or is this where you should stick with guides...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Martin

St Martin is fine to strike out on your own.
Old April 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Went to Orient Beach last Nov '02 and had a BLAST! Felt very safe- rented chair/umbrella- bought MANY "rum punches" and ate at the same venue- tipped the staff very well and he was wonderful at watching outr stuff when we ventured away from our chairs. Nothing was missing- not a penny! (I suspect he knew the tip would be larger.....and it was). BUT...there are many "beach vendors" strolling the beach trying to sell crafts, etc- I would definitely watch out for them! We enjoyed St Maarten so much taht we are taking our 2 daughters back there in 3 weeks! Be warned though- like many of the other islands, there is always someone trying to get you to come into their shop and take you places. Many of the shops will continue to "quench your thirst" w/ very strong rum punches in hopes that you will loosen up and buy (as on other islands). My husband was Rolex shopping and I left my small handbag ($/Credit cards) on the glass display case at one of the stores.... (okay, I had had too many rum punches). We tried to retrace my steps, and about 45 minutes later, we ended up at the store. Everything was there! Suffice to say, we bought the watch from them. Hopefully this will help ease some of your potential concerns. Enjoy your trip!
Old April 20th, 2003, 08:50 AM
First Mate

My favorite island especially for shopping. It less expensive than St Thomas because they dont pay US taxes. You will find price vary from store to store so shop around before buying something. I bough a bottle of Crown Royal special reserve for 22.99 then later found it for 18.99 at another store. The only thing I didnt like in town was the street vendors trying to sell time shares Just keep walking. I felt very safe there.

Orient beach in my opinion is the most beatiful beach I've been to. Better than Megans bay or Trunk bay which most people seem to like better.

Have a great time.

George
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:24 AM
Alex

Look at Caribbean Duck Tours- Perfect beachfront entertainment
http://www.caribbeanducktours.com